Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, January 10, 2010

Weekend

What a lovely weekend so far. Library booksale and lunch on Saturday with M#2 and S, then curled up on the couch in my pajamas and a wool sweater (just like I'd planned) for the rest of the day. Cold outside and comfy inside. Knitting. Relaxing. Reading. Unwinding.




Now it's early on Sunday morning and I'm the only one awake and up. I'm a morning person and my husband is a night owl. Often on the weekend, I'll go to bed around 11 p.m. and he'll stay up for another couple of hours. Then in the morning, I'll get up around 7 a.m. and he'll stay in bed another couple of hours. Sometimes it bothers me when he doesn't go to bed with me at night, but I always love the quiet time in the morning. Perhaps he feels the same way at night?



I finished M#2's green scarf. It was a fun, quick knit, and although I still think the yarn may feel a little rough, I love the way it looks. Since it's a handspun yarn (still looking for the label), I am going to give it a soak and hope it softens up before I give it to her.




I also finished another pair of handwarmers. Toasty again, although I added two rows of purl stitches near the cuff as a detail. I thought I was making this pair for me, but I modified the number of stitches I cast on from 34 to 28 since the yarn was bulky and while they fit, they look a little stretched out around the base of my thumb, so I think they're going to go to someone with a smaller hand. Probably a back to school gift to S. She's not looking forward to going back, probably feeling the same way I felt about going back to work.



After finishing up those two projects, I started digging around in my UFO trunk to see what I had in there and I found the Cap'n Crunch neckwarmer. I worked on it while my husband and I played Scrabble and watched the football game(s).



It's so weird knitting without a deadline. Can you imagine if I knit all year and just kept the finished projects in my trunk until Christmas? I wonder what I would accomplish if I did that? Have you ever worked that far in advance?

3 comments:

  1. What a calm and peaceful weekend. We have those kind of 'quiet hours' in our house as well. I agree that it can feel a bit lonely occasionally but mostly I like it.

    Knitting in advance? I couldn't stand to have things stored away. Those gifts would be given well before Christmas. I always want to see what they look like on and whether they're as happy-making as i thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's exactly what I do too. Which is also why I have the least amount of knitted items in my family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preparing in advance for Christmas??? Now that's just crazy talk :>)

    ReplyDelete