Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year, Part Two

Thank you for your kind remarks about my vague post. You may or may not have noticed that my moods tend to highs and lows with very little time spent in between. For an optimist, I often go to the worst case scenario pretty darn fast. I have had a tough week (or two) and really was at my lowest when I wrote my last post this morning. Let's just leave it as a "marriage is tough, and second marriages are complicated, especially around the holidays" issue and assume the best. Part of the problem is I'm always surprised when things aren't perfect, then I get mad at myself for still having to re-learn this lesson over and over and over again. And I think that's about all I can say about it.

I am looking forward to this year, the year in which I turn fifty (good god, when did that happen?), and trying to remember that it's okay I don't have it all figured out.

I am grateful for the many wonderful reminders and ideas that I find in this wonderful world of blogging, and I hope to incorporate a few of them.

I wish for good health and much love for everyone in my family and in yours.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry things are rough right now, Rose. The holidays really do bring out the worst in all of us emotionally. I usually leap straight for the worst-case scenario, too. I'm hoping that your situation turns out to be far from it.

    You've been on my mind this week, as your fantastic knitting projects have finally inspired me to dig out my stash of yarn and needles and cruise the internet for patterns. I'm working on a ribbon yarn scarf...can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marriage is hard work and blended families can be difficult. My husband is my second husband, but I'm his first wife, so we didn't have to blend families. My ex is a different story altogether. He had 3 sons. We had one daughter. This has always made holidays difficult.

    My advice is to embrace what makes you happy and let the rest slide. Next week, next month or next year, whatever caused problems today is unlikely to matter much. Learning one word to add to my vocabulary was the most freeing thing in the world. That word?

    No.

    It took me 50 years to be able to say this, and I'm pretty content that though I'm a late learner, at least I learned. Better late, than never.

    Hugs, my friend. This, too, shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next year? Go back to Ireland for Christmas. You'll probably save money and a lot of aggravation!

    Gosh, I wish I could do that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand just how complicated it can be - I live through it every Christmas. After 15 years I can tell you it does get better. The rough edges tend to wear off after a while.
    Hope you find some time for that frogging/knitting. It's soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate your kindness and support.

    ReplyDelete