Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Knitting and Traveling Plans

I started a Saroyan shawl last night. I had seen this version which got me thinking about it, then my daughter posted the photo of a Swallowtail she knit, and all of a sudden I grabbed a skein of burgundy Ultra Alpacca (from my stash-yea!), wound it up using my knees, and cast on. I only just started but I'm looking forward to working on it tonight. I even started the counting columns in a small, bound notebook, so I don't lose track. I'm using the yarn on the left; apparently I was so overloaded with yarn at the time I bought this, that I grouped these four skeins together in my ravelry stash. I didn't even see the green yarn last night, but I'm committed to the burgundy anyway.





I started this scarf (the second one) yesterday using some celery green Manos (also from stash-double yea!), ripped it out, and started it again today. I think it'll be my work knitting, although since it does involve a minimum amount of keeping track of the rows, that may be a problem. There are only four but I already messed up once so we'll see. For this, instead of writing down row numbers and checking them off like I'm doing with the Saroyan, I'm writing down the row number as I complete them. Why two different systems? I truly don't know. How do you keep track?




I also would like to knit a pair of worsted weight socks for Steve for Valentine's Day, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen.




After a couple of months of staying put, it looks like I'm doing some traveling again. For the first trip, Steve and I are supposed to take a thrifted chest of drawers out to M2 this weekend, but that may be postponed due to snow in the forecast. I need to take a photo of it; my dad refinished it and it looks great. I only wish I had a 'before' photo, but as usual, I don't.



In February, Steve and I are going to Annapolis for a Valentine's Day/my birthday celebration(it's the big 5-0), then the following weekend I'm flying to NY to see M1. She's going to give me a tour of her college campus, in addition to our yarn store visits. She's starting classes tomorrow after a four or five year hiatus and we're all very excited about it. Very excited.

3 comments:

  1. I love both your new projects. I can't wait to see them completed.

    I keep track with my stickie note feature on my mac dashboard. If it's complicated lace and has a graph, I highlight the completed row when it's done so that my eye goes to the row above and not below.

    Annapolis sounds like fun. Turning 50? You should be celebrating the whole month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy upcoming birthday! Nice to have some travel/family time to celebrate. Have fun in those yarn stores.

    I love the edging on the shawl - very feminine.

    I keep track of rows with one of those Katcha counters that I click after every row. Like Rudee, if the chart is small or hard to see, i use a highlighter to mark the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that lacy rib scarf on the post you linked! I'm going to have to jot that pattern down.

    ReplyDelete