Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sunday Seven #1

Today was the first Sunday in the plan of getting rid of seven things every Sunday, and I didn't do so well. Steve did get rid of two magazine baskets worth of magazines and I threw two bags of Christmas wrapping scraps away that we were debating about saving, but that is it. And I think the plan is to donate rather than throw out. But at least when I went to the thrift store, instead of buying the basket I picked up, I put it back instead.


I think part of the reason I wasn't successful in purging is the fact that I'm also going to try and incorporate this idea of improving/maintaining a room/area per month, and I got started on that today.


We've been in our house by the bay for eighteen months now and some things are starting to show wear and tear. (As an aside, what is the difference between bungalow and cottage?)



So here is the list that I've been writing over the last couple of days:


  • Bedroom--declutter, organize closet, paint?


  • Bathroom #1--hang something on blank wall, new shower caddy, replace old medicine cabinet, new showerhead


  • Living room--declutter, use baskets for storage, clean/organize coat closet, paint


  • Kitchen--paint bold, beachy color, new frig, possibly re-tile floor?


  • Bathroom #2--hang fish platter, just found out we have a leak under the sink, so must fix that asap


  • Sunroom--finish curtains, declutter


  • Laundry room--paint, seal floor, hang utility hooks


  • Back deck--declutter, potted plants, accent lighting


  • Front porch--paint, light fixture, railing


  • Garage



If I added the girls' rooms, it would make an even dozen, but I don't think I will. And truthfully, I don't think I'll do much in the garage either, so that makes the list totally do-able, right?


It turns out that I started with the sunroom, mainly because I got up this morning and began cleaning in there. Plus, it seems like the room that needs the least.

Holy cow, the dust was stunning. And the amount of yarn I own is shocking. I used Murphy's Oil Soap to wipe down the floor and baseboards and it smells pretty good in there now. I moved things around only marginally, but it looks really different. Unfortunately, instead of before photos, I have a couple of in-progress photos because I didn't realize I was into it until I was into it, if that makes sense. I'll post those tomorrow, along with the changes I made. The curtains are the only thing left to do. I think this room was the easiest one on the list because it's the one I tweak all the time anyway.





Half way through the green scarf; really like the way it looks and the color but I still think it'll feel too scratchy on the neck.

2 comments:

  1. Bungalow, west coast? Cottage, east coast? Or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jenn. Seems like you have quite the list. I've been thinking lately about how to revamp some things around here. Maybe you'll inspire me to get started (or finish...craft room redo has been going on for nearly a year)

    ReplyDelete