Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Saturday, August 7, 2010

Weighty Matters

I hate talking about weight. I don't want to set a bad example for my daughters by focusing on my weight, how I feel about it, being overweight, or being obsessed about the process of losing weight. And yet, I have spent so much time doing just that. And I'm doing it again. I went on the Weight Watchers Online program over a year ago and lost 30 pounds; I didn't reach my goal weight, but I was pretty happy. Since then I've gained it all back and I'm not happy about it at all. I have had problems with my feet for the past two years and my hips hurt every morning and I know that the excess weight is not helping. At all. I had hoped to lose weight this summer and return to school feeling good about myself and instead, I did nothing about it. Now that's not to say I did nothing positive this summer, because I did. So I'm going to keep the whole weight thing in perspective and move on.

And so today, I re-enrolled and started the process of tracking my food intake. I know I can do it and I know I will feel better. I have to. And even though I won't be anywhere near my goal weight by the first day of school, I will have least made some progress toward that goal. I hate that I become obsessive about it when I do this, but it's the only way I know how to do it. Just thought you should know.


Now for something completely off topic: This is hilarious!! I love it!

And, I just booked my flight to New York to see Meredith and attend Rhinebeck!!

7 comments:

  1. Good for you, Rose! I've hit a point with my weight where I'm completely disgusted with myself (nothing like vacation to really bring out the glutton in me). I've been stockpiling yoga videos and plan to start an exercise plan and healthier eating habits as soon as we get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the other day that Luciano Pavarotti gained and lost 5000 lbs over his lifetime.

    I have battled weighty issues my whole life. I never used to apply the word 'obese' - still don't - but the changing medical definitions have put me there, I think.

    About 10 years ago, I lost a lot of weight and planned to stay there. Creeps up on you when you stop being careful. Now, I'm losing weight again - very slowly. I want it to stay off this time. My knees are feeling so much better.
    You have my complete support in this challenge. It' not about the looks - it's for health. But the looks part is a great incentive. And I'm looking forward to our new fall wardrobes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, you are my twin! I am back up to my all-time high and I am thoroughly disgusted with myself. I've never done the Weight-Watchers online program, but I think I'm going to do it.

    We bought a Wii this summer, partly so I could use the Wii Fit program. I just need to get my (fat) butt in gear! I suppose it would help if I stopped eating so much of my own baking, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with Weight-Watchers, Rose..........oh and I love that T-shirt! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep reading the only way to truly lose weight is to stop worrying about everything you put into your mouth. Those writers must live in a special land with no mirrors, no advertisements--airbrushed, no doubt, and magical jeans that always fit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your new focus... I know you can do it. I love Teresa Tapp workouts and her thoughts on dieting, womens bodies, etc. Look her up on TTapp.com. I think you will really like what you see and read. Seriously her 15 minute work out a day kicks butt, but is really nice and easy on your body. Can't wait to hear what you think.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we all need to find a weight at where our bodies feel comfortable and try to stay there. We can't possibly achieve the photoshopped images we see every day and should only strive to please ourselves.

    Case in point--I was at the doctor office looking at a Good Housekeeping issue of real women in bathing suits. The were lovely at every age until I took note that not a one of them had a dimple or blemish. They'd been photoshopped to someone else's ideal.

    To see what I mean, look at the grief Ann Taylor has been taking over this model photo:

    http://jezebel.com/5605608/ann-taylor-we-agree-our-retouching-has-been-overzealous (i wish i knew how to link)

    In the end, Rose, you should only be doing what makes you happy. I admire that you don't blow this out of proportion for your girls.

    ReplyDelete