Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Thursday, June 3, 2010

Winding Down and Loving It

I can tell the year is winding down; the school year that is. This year is so much better than last year for a number of reasons, with the result being I have more energy! Now that SOL tests are over, I have my students doing group projects in class, which makes it fun for them and less work for me. My science classes are making ABC books about the topics we studied this year, with each page having a picture and definition. It sounds juvenile, but it is helping them review the material for the final exam. I wish we didn't have to give exams but we do, so review we must. My AVID class just finished up a month of literature circles, which are sort of like having five book clubs going on in one room. I had four groups of four and two groups of five, reading a total of five different books (each group read one). Now that they're done, each group is going to create a culminating product to showcase their book. This will not only help me out this year, but I'll use the products next year when I do booktalks for the new AVID group.



Creativity is showing up at home too. I am knitting on a bunch of different things (don't judge), and the latest is the Juniper bonnet using a skein of rose-colored Rowan Milk Cotton. So pretty and old-fashioned looking and an enjoyable pattern to follow too.



I'm cooking some too. I've pulled out my battered copy of The Enchanted Broccoli Forest Cookbook and am planning to try at least one recipe a week. Maybe more once school's out. Last week it was the Broccoli & Tofu in Spicy Peanut Sauce (delicious!) and tonight I made the Mushroom Yogurt Pie in a Spinach Crust. It was quiche-like, except it only required one egg and used yogurt instead of cream or milk. Also, very, very goood. I'm hoping the slice left over will make it till morning so I can have it for breakfast.



Other recipes queued up from the book are: Savory Vegetable Cheesecake, Mushroom Mystery Casserole, Pasta w/ Artichoke Hearts, Marinated Pasta Salad, and Moroccan Orange-Walnut Salad.

What are you cooking up this week?

2 comments:

  1. I'm starving now!

    I'm so happy you're ending this year on a better note. You'll have less trepidation going back next year. You've really had some wonderful and positive stories to tell about school this go around. You deserved that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny that you're cooking from Enchanted. I've been cooking from the original Moosewood, but can't find my copy of Enchanted. Now I'm inspired to look again!

    ReplyDelete