Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Friday, June 4, 2010

Treats

Treats are good. My husband thinks I treat myself a little too often, but I disagree. Here are a few treats I gave myself this week:


  • Participating in a pickup faculty kickball game--despite being out of shape and lacking athletic skills, I did it for the fun. And it was. Even though I still ache in places I had forgotten could ache.

  • Sitting at Elliot's on Tuesday reading a copy of Poets & Writers that was there and listing authors I want to read. My list includes Douglas Glover, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nicola Keegan, Reif Larsen, Ru Freeman, Ali Sethi, and Joanna Smith Rakoff. I have never heard of any of these authors but like a good treasure map, one never knows what gems one will find. Also on the list are these titles: All the Living, by C. E. Morgan, Atlas of Unknowns, by Tania James, and Men & Dogs, by Katie Crouch.

  • Sex and The City 2--didn't think I'd like it but I saw it with a group of women for a birthday get-together and it was fun. Fantasy, but fun.

  • Spending my $10 thrift store gift card (frequent flier punchcard). Bought a beat-up wicker trunk and five magazines at bargain prices. Who cares if the Coastal Living magazines are six years old? I sure don't.

  • Enjoying mint tea at Elliot's after work on Thursday while waiting to pick up my stepdaughter from her job. And talking with her before heading home to fix our delicious vegetarian dinner.

What did you do to treat yourself this week?

3 comments:

  1. I worked like an animal to clean my house yesterday. It's so clean, it sparkles. The treat is it's done an entire day ahead of time, and now I have a lazy 3 day weekend planned. Seeing Sex and the City is on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lot better than I expected, or maybe it was the group of friends I went with, but it was fun. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think treating yourself is the only way to take care of yourself - I sometimes treat myself to yoga class, a special item for a decadent recipe, a new book - well, and of course yarn:) This week I treated myself and joined a cool swap.

    ReplyDelete