Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

I've been pondering a change in our eating habits lately, mostly by rereading my old copy of Fast Vegetarian Feasts and The Enchanted Broccoli Forest. When we had the power off for thirty six hours a couple of weeks ago, it provided the perfect opportunity to ditch some (all) of the things in our refrigerator that needed to get tossed. Having more time to cook in the summer (provided I'm actually home more than two out of fourteen days) coupled with the amount of fresh produce available, including Steve's garden, means this is a great time to revamp the pantry and menus. (The word menu implies I actually plan meals but one can always strive to do better, no?)

So today, per the suggestion in FVF, I bought a dozen wide-mouth Ball jars and went to work filling them with some of the staples necessary to cook the way I want. (Bonus: I also got to use my label maker!) Things like wheat berries, bulgur, barley, couscous, and a nice variety of rice and beans. Stef went with me to the farmer's market, where we got some produce, and also organic butter and tofu.

Of course, Steve and I ate out tonight. But there's always tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment