Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Saturday, June 5, 2010

Crafting

Kind of a stressful day yesterday, so I ended up going to bed early and getting about ten hours of sleep. I thought I'd end up awake around 3 a.m. but it didn't happen; guess I needed the rest. I also thought I'd have tons of energy today but I'm feeling pretty low key, and I'm okay with that.

I finished the Juniper Bonnet last night. I can't quite visualize how it'll look on a baby but I did love knitting it. Now I have to find just the right ribbon for the eyelet at the bottom. Rowan's Milk Cotton was a good choice of yarn I think, nice and soft and drapey. This hat also uses a Rowan yarn (I think), the denim one. Or maybe it's not Rowan. At any rate, I love this yarn but I'm not loving the hat. I'm thinking of frogging and using it to make a sturdy bib. Opinions?
But the big crafting success of the day (so far) is the bathmat from SouleMama's Handmade Home. I've been stockpiling sheets and towels from the thrift stores for months now but for some reason was hesitant to start cutting them up. I finally took the plunge this morning.

It provides some much needed color in our bathroom. The store-bought rug I'd been using was white, which not only stayed grungy looking, but didn't add any color contrast to the floor. What I was thinking when I bought it remains a mystery to me.



You can't see it in the photos, but I used a fancy cross-stitch setting on the machine and followed the fake rick-rack design to add stability. The pattern suggests you add strips of towel on top of the cotton, but I didn't want to cover up the sheet pattern. I have some other sheets that are much more washed out looking that I plan to use and I'll do the towel strips on those.

It's a gorgeous day and I was thinking about going to the beach, but it's insanely hot outside. I don't seem to have much energy despite the extra sleep and I have to chaperone the 8th grade dance tonight, so I think I'll just relax in the AC instead. And maybe do some more crafting!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't actually seen this Rowans Milk Cotton but I love the name and it seems to fit the color. I'd love to find some!

    The bonnet is adorable.

    Good luck staying up for the dance. I'll be doing the same thing for our 8th-grade farewell dance on Thursday night. I think we get out a week earlier than you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pattern on the bonnet. Someone will be lucky to get that.

    Your mat is so bright and cheerful. I have a white bathmat as well. When I bought it - with a white shower curtain - it all seemed so summery. Not so much in the winter, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute hats, Rose! The bath mat is a very clever idea and I love the colors in this one.

    Hope you had fun at the dance!

    ReplyDelete