Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Creativity

Apparently I have lost the ability to knit in the round without flipping it inside out and working on the wrong side without noticing, despite having knit in the round with no problems for years.  I ran into that a couple of times while making the Gap-tastic cowls, but I figured that was just repetitive project fatigue and the fact that the pattern looked the same on either side.  But now I've done it with the Honey Cowl, which looks obviously different on the right and wrong sides.  WTH?  I think it may have had something to do with watching old episodes of Downton Abbey on my iPad. Oh well, it just means more knitting time, doesn't it?

I still haven't started sewing the felted wool squares together, but I did buy a few more sweaters this past weekend to add a color boost to the pile.  I don't know why I am so hesitant to begin sewing again.  I'll have to give some thought to that.

The main creative endeavor I have been consistent in is my photography project.  It's been invigorating to walk to the beach every morning, even if it's only for a few minutes. It's helping me appreciate my proximity to the beach even more than I usually do, especially since I missed out on so much beach time last summer due to my broken foot.  This photo was taken a couple of days ago just after sunrise.  I love the glow and the way the water looks.


I've also been trying to keep up with housekeeping more than I usually do; I know that I feel more creative in a calm and uncluttered environment, so that was my impetus, but I also think it is a way to be more aware of my surroundings, as well as an expression of gratitude, if that makes sense.  Trying to recognize my good fortune while taking care of my belongings is better than grumbling about the clutter and work.





1 comment:

  1. i don't operate well in clutter, either. Use markers on the right side of your work to see if visual cues help prevent you from going in the wrong direction. Must be frustrating!

    Yes, the photos have been so pretty!

    ReplyDelete