Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Saturday, October 23, 2010

Yarn Acquisitions

I really hope to find time to make these this week, but I'm not sure how I can fit them in my schedule. Things are so busy right now. A little too busy.




My new teaching plan of having "Lab Friday" every week is loads of fun, but also, loads of crazy. Yesterday we made Gak out of cornstarch and water, to supplement our unit on matter. Four bells in a row. (I wiped out the cornstarch shelf at the store, by the way.) And we used pink water, to show participation in the breast cancer awareness day at our school. Lots of noise, but as you can see, total involvement by the students. I wish I could post their faces and a sound byte or two of their enthusiasm. Yeah, that's what the noise was, enthusiasm.





Stef is home for fall break and I feel like I'm missing too much of it. I had a baby shower to attend after school yesterday, and today I have to spend 2 hours with a classmate planning a presentation for next Saturday's class.




The Owl Baby Vest and Owl Babies book were a hit at the baby shower.










As a matter of fact, I read the story to my homeroom Friday morning; they loved it too, although probably not as much as I do.






Now I'm able to work on my new favorite knitting, Dream in Color's Tulip Cardigan. I love this pattern and yarn, and am already looking forward to making another using my own color choices. The best thing about this project is that I wanted to buy it last year, but felt it was out of my comfort zone. This year however, I snapped it right up with nary a qualm. Since I was wearing my handknit sweater, I knew this would be do-able.





Now for the rest of the yarn purchases. I bought two skeins of Shelter, one in blue (Almanac) and one in green (Sap). I'll probably make a Noro-style scarf (shocker) out of it.






I also bought one little skein of Habu Natural Cover Cotton because it's so unusual. I'll probably make a dish cloth or a little coaster out of it.




At La Casasita, I bought two skeins of Louisa Harding Merletto, in a rich red. I may try a small shawlette pattern for this one, to wear during the Christmas holiday season.






I picked up two skeins of Plymouth Yarn Boku at a yarn shop in Westport that I think will work well for a slouch hat or a Turn A Square hat. It looks like it may be a Noro-knockoff, but I wanted to try it because I liked the colors.





I bought a luscious skein of something at Rhinebeck, but I'm not even sure what it is. Hopefully Mere will remember. It's grey and purple and I don't know what I want to make out of it (who am I kidding, it'll be a scarf) but I loved the colors together. I think it has mohair or maybe angora in it.





Note to self: Do NOT take more than one project on the Rhinebeck trip or you will have to have stuff mailed back because it won't fit in the suitcase. What was I thinking taking enough yarn for four projects? When I was going YARN shopping??






I also picked up some soaps and buttons, just because they were pretty, but I'll show those another day. I have to get ready to head out for my meeting.






Even with the four day weekend, including festival food, I lost weight this week. My total loss is an even 30 lbs!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! To the weight loss - all that shopping and walking works for you.

    And now for the yarns...you've had lots of fun. How do you choose? I love the Plymouth Boku and can't wait to see it knit up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You have been busy! Your acquisitions are gorgeous and your weight loss is incredible! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all so beautiful!

    Congratulations on your continued WW success. Dahling, you look mahvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, 30 pounds! That is so awesome. I admire your self-control. I actually gained a pound last week!

    I love your yarn! You are so adventurous, trying some unusual yarns.

    The Tulip Sweater does look doable. Let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete