Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Rhinebeck, Baby!

I had a wonderful trip to see my daughter this past weekend! The weather was absolutely gorgeous; exactly what I think of when I think about autumn in New York.

It still amazes me how much color there is on the streets, even in a big city. So many fall displays outside of the markets along every street. Mere gave me a welcome gift as soon as I arrived: these lovely colorwork handmitts she had made for me. I love them! The waves are a nod to the ocean I love so much.
We went to see Purl's new location. It was amazing to see all the samples from the latest book on display. I was also able to buy two skeins of Jared Flood's new yarn, although photos of my acquisitions will have to wait until the weekend, so I can photograph them in daylight.

After Purl, we took the subway over to Brooklyn and visited La Casita Yarn Shop Cafe. It was so nice! I wish a yarn shop around here kept the hours they do; they stay open until 10:00 p.m.!




I relaxed with an iced tea, soaking up the hospitality. They were very welcoming; I bought some fancy looking red yarn, perfect for a holiday lace scarf to wear with my grey wool coat. Don't you love the glass? I bought a set last year from Ravelry to gift to Mere.



And on Saturday, we went to Rhinebeck. The weather was just cool enough that I got to show off my new sweater, my new mitts, and the scarf I made from Rudee's handspun gift yarn! That's a new basket beside me, by the way. And of course, we ate more artichoke french, along with fried pickles and roasted garlic. Delicious!






Here's a photo of Mere and Ryan, along with the gorgeous fall color in the background.



I think I've seen this shot on every Rhinebeck post I've read this week!







For now I'm trying to dig out from under the pile of papers I knew I'd have to grade upon my return and finishing up the Owl Baby Vest, as the shower is Friday afternoon.


And I've also started a new project, one of the last Rhinebeck purchases I made this year. Can't wait to show you, but for now, it's back to work!

6 comments:

  1. rose -- looks like you had a fantastic time! and those mitts are fabulous. maybe next year i'll make it to rhinebeck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing weekend. You are so lucky to have a daughter who knits! And she knits well! I love the colorwork in the mitts. You look awesome in all your knitted finery at Rhinebeck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter is beautiful, and I love those handmits! It looks like a perfect fall weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O.M.G.! My handspun yarn went to Rhinebeck! I'm so jealous.

    The photos are gorgeous, of course. One of these years, I'm going to go, too. Love your mitts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sweater looks perfect in that setting. Love the mitts, too. And, like Rudee, one of these years, I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete