Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Christmas Knits

I didn't give a lot of hand knits this Christmas, but I did make a few. This is the Fortnight hat by Jared Flood, made in Shelter that I bought from Loop when I was in Philadelphia in July. I started it in July and almost finished it, but when I ran into a problem, I ripped it back to the garter section and set it aside until after Christmas. Once I picked it back up, I finished it in no time. This photo is preblocked and while I don't always block Steve's hats prior to giving them to him, with Shelter, it's definitely necessary to block, otherwise the yarn won't bloom properly. I must say, I don't love working with Shelter as much as some people seem to do. It always feels like it will break too easily, especially when working with cables. But I do love the end result.
 
This photo is outside on the drying rack after a soak.

This is a hat I made for my oldest stepdaughter, using Dragonfly Fibers blue Faced Worsted yarn in the color Riptide. I used Declan's Hat pattern because it looked very Irish to me, and Lindsay loves all things Celtic.

This yarn was very soft and easy to work with, but I blocked it anyway, to make sure it was done correctly.

I gave Melissa a hat I made from the book, New England Knits. It is the Brattleboro hat, using Dream in Color yarn and although I finished knitting it in 2012, I didn't do the button band until the end of 2013, when I rummaged through my UFOs. Melissa loved it.

The last gift I made was a Gap-tastic Cowl for my cousin, using Plymouth Yarn's Baby Alpaca Grande Glow in red and cream. It's such a soft yarn to wear next to your neck.

Maybe that's why I didn't feel too stressed about holiday knitting this Christmas.

Now it's pure wish knitting time; can't wait to pick out my new project!

Happy New Year!

Edited to add: just went back and counted projects finished in 2013, and my total was 27! Not too shabby, even if many of them were one skein projects.

 

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year Rose, may 2014 be filled with beautiful knitting.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete