Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Monday, December 30, 2013

The In-Between Time

Steve and I went to DC for the weekend, as our Christmas gift to each other, and the weather was perfect.

We went to the Eastern Market and saw some gorgeous things, as well as some beautiful produce.
 
Why do vegetables look so beautiful at an outdoor market?
This bookstore was amazing and the proprietor was a quirky kind of guy, judging from his position on cell phone usage.

We also went to a knitting shop, where Steve patiently waited with another knitter's husband.

 

This is the Library of Congress building, which we visited for the first time.

I don't believe I've ever been in a more beautiful building.

The Supreme Court.
Views of the gorgeous sky.

We popped into the National Gallery right before closing in order to see The Dying Gaul, a sculpture that hasn't been outside of Italy since 1797. Needless to say, it was amazing.

We wrapped up the day by eating a delicious dinner in Chinatown.

 

We got back last night and after running an errand or two this morning, including having the dentist replace my broken temporary crown with another temporary crown, I'm ready to do some clearing out. Glenna had the same idea; indeed, I'm sure this is a good time for many people, as we realize just how much stuff we have accumulated over the past year. I'm not one for celebrating New Year's Eve, but I do like to do a bit of clearing out and cleaning this time of year.

And of course, it's a perfect time to do a bit of selfish knitting, so I started another Hitchhiker.

Enjoy the last of 2013!

 

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous trip Rose, so glad you had fun. My favorite picture is of Steve waiting with the other hubby, very fun. I think I may have to make a Hitchhiker this year, yours is gorgeous.
    Hugs and Happy New Year,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never get tired of DC! The Library of Congress is a stunning building. And you had amazing weather! It is sweet for Steve to wait patiently while you yarn shop. Keith is pretty good about that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photographs are absolutely stunning. It's wonderful to see how others see the same place that you have visited. Looking at it through someone else's eyes is always a treat.
    Have a wonderful and happy 2014.

    ReplyDelete