Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Friday, January 3, 2014

Settling In

I went back to work on Thursday, and despite wishing we had more time off, I think it was a good way to ease back into it. I felt rested and prepared, and both days went smoothly. I only have about three more weeks with these students, as we are on a four by four block schedule, and then I get a whole new group of students for the second semester. There are pros and cons about this system, but I think on the whole, the students benefit from it, as it allows them to focus on only four classes per semester.

I'm reading A Year of Living Consciously; I've read it before and found it to be very helpful, but since it's been quite a few years, I thought it would be a good thing to do again. This time, I'm keeping a little notebook of key points, words, or reflections. So far, I've read it in the morning, and then again right before going to bed, and I think it's a good way to internalize each day's concept.

I'm working on a pair of handmitts, using the Fleur-de-Lis Wristers pattern by Tanis Gray. The pattern looked intriguing, especially the ruffled cuff. I'm using Noro Silk Garden instead of the recommended Cascade Yarn, because I'm trying to use what I have, but unfortunately, I didn't realize I only had one skein, so I ended up buying a second skein this afternoon. If I had realized it before I started, I would have used one of the multiple skeins of Kureyon for the mitts and the Silk Garden for the ruffles. Oh well, good intentions and all that.

Meanwhile, I have a big batch of granola using the recipe from Alana's book baking in the oven, filling the house with the sweet smell of cinnamon, and the whole weekend stretching in front of me. Life is pretty good, isn't it?

 

3 comments:

  1. Tanis Grey is such a wonderful designer, did you read her blog post today? It was lovely. Good luck on the mitts, I am starting a pair of generic ones today that I hope to embellish.
    Hugs and stay warm,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are already back in school! In a way I envy you because the anticipation is always worse than just diving in. I wish I worked in a 4-block. Only one school in our district does, but it would be a horrible commute for me!

    I hate it when a stash-buster project turns into a stash-expander, but what can you do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Rose. It's great to be back visiting everyone. Those mitts are really nice. Isn't it maddening when you try to use stash and then have to buy just a little extra to complete?

    ReplyDelete