Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Monday, December 5, 2011

Crafting & Community




The Quince & Co. yarn arrived Friday and I cast on immediately for the Wanderer Cap, using a skein of Lark. I love this yarn so much, I'm not sure why I ever use anything else.I had to use a tubular cast on for the first time, and it only took me two tries to achieve success. I'm not sure the extra work is worth it, although it is a very squishy feeling edge. Anyone else have any opinions on this cast on? Anyway, now I'm following a chart, which is a rarity for me. But I am determined to increase my skill set, so instead of reaching for an old favorite pattern, I chose this one. Plus, it's in the book I just bought, it's by Jared Flood, and it's a cool looking design. Win, win, win.




Yesterday I hosted my 2nd Craft-OV-Rama and it was so relaxing. Ten lovely women were there, including my youngest daughter, and the age range was from 22 to 55, single, married, new mamas, empty nest mamas, and some without children. When I came into work this morning, one of the young mamas thanked me again for hosting these get-togethers. She said they are the only times she really gets to have "me" time and she realizes how important it is to her mental health. Which is actually one of the reasons I'm doing these. Being a part of a community of women has always been important to me, and this is a way for me to pay it forward and include some of these young, harried women in my life. La Leche League was where I really learned how vital these types of relationships are and ever since, they have been a part of my life in some form or other. I am so glad my daughter participates too, as she will need this type of support someday soon, and meanwhile, it's good for her to see the interaction between a somewhat diverse group of women. Although as I write this, I realize she grew up seeing this, so she already knows.




So, what crafting was done? One woman made a fleece blanket, I taught another friend to knit, and I did some knitting myself. I also tried making a potholder on the old metal loom my daughters used when they were young, but I couldn't remember how to bind it off. So in other words, there wasn't a lot of crafting, but there was a lot of talking, which is just as nice.




Knitting update: I am on my fourth Wanderer Cap cast on. The first time I didn't get it at all, the second time I got it, but messed up on the chart, the third time I messed up on the cast on, and now I'm beginning again. Although I know I could give up, I also know that I can do this. It's not that hard of a pattern. It is challenging for me (obviously) but it isn't really that hard, so I'm going to persevere. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Fourth time is a charm. Good luck with the hat.

    Your writing makes me miss spinning circle. I haven't been in soooo long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done almost every cast on but I come back to my tried and true. It's kind of a cross between Norwegian and long-tail. My mother taught it to me almost 50 years ago and it still works. I usually try to figure out the 'why' of an unusual cast-on and then make my decision. Some I just don't like doing - tubular is one.

    Your crafty women meets are are a great idea. You all look pretty darn comfortable. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have another thing in common. I, too, was active in La Leche League when my kids were small--first in Canada, then in the DC area (the shock there was that mothers would come with notebook and pencil in hand!) As to charts, they are the way to go. It's so much easier when you have a mental picture to work from. Maybe I'll have to try the Wayfarer Cap as a Xmas gift for my son, James.

    ReplyDelete