Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Weekend Update

My first week ended on a good note. I taught the students how to participate in a Socratic Seminar and despite their inexperience, I thought they did quite well. I think it's a great strategy to use to help kids think critically about a piece of writing, and sadly, it's usually reserved for the higher level classes. I'm mixing a lot of my AVID strategies with a gifted strategy or two in the hopes of getting the kids to become more active readers, which in turn, can't help but improve their writing. At least, that's the plan. Unfortunately, I am suffering a crisis of confidence since it has been so long since I taught English. Only time will change that, although Friday's lesson helped.

The dinner experiment has been going well, although we've eaten out quite a lot this weekend. This was the view from our table today:

 

We were eating on the porch of Chick's Oyster Bar, a casual burger, seafood, and beer place not too far from our house.
 

 

 

As for knitting, I'm over half way done with the edging for Anne's Wings, and I'm pretty happy with the way it looks! I should finish it tonight and if so, I'll need to pick another UFO to work on. Unless I start something new, that is.

 

I can't get the color quite right; it's really a true heather purple, not as blue as this looks.

For now, I need to do a bit of lesson planning. I have open house Tuesday night and I want to be sure to have everything ready. Looks like I'll be putting in a couple of long days this week. Hope you have a wonderful week!

3 comments:

  1. Glad school is going well so far, you will be in the groove soon with it all. If I lived near the water I would eat out all the time just to sit there and see the view. Good luck with Open House, the parents will love you.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a challenging but really interesting year you've started. I sort of miss teaching English when you talk about it.

    Pretty shawl...I have a hard time with the blue-ish purples, too. I thought it my camera. That's where the blame goes, anyway.

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shawl is very pretty. I hope your open house wasn't too long today.

    ReplyDelete