Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, September 16, 2012

Another Week

I had a pretty good second week, although I feel like I have to work like mad just to keep my head above water. One of the positive things I did this week was to call about 75% of my students' parents to tell them something good about his or her child. Doing this not only builds parent-teacher good will, it also never fails to make me feel good, because it reminds me of the fact that my students are someone's precious son or daughter. As important as curriculum is, nothing is more important than remembering that my students are first and foremost other people's children.

I spent the weekend visiting with family. Steve and I had a small cookout yesterday and had my parents and his oldest daughter and her husband over to eat. Afterwards, Steve, Lindsay, and Jon played tennis, while I relaxed and/or did some school prep. I also blocked the four shawls I made over the summer. Pictures of those will have to wait, as two are still damp.

Last night, Steve and I went down to the Norfolk waterfront to listen to the Virginia Opera under the stars. It was a perfectly lovely evening, just cool enough to need a light shawl.

 

Today we went to Richmond to take Stephanie out for brunch for her 22nd birthday. Isn't this the cutest salt and pepper shaker?

 

I managed to sneak in a little knitting time at Richmond's best yarn shop, The Yarn Lounge. Love this window display.



I slept the entire way up, but was able to stay awake on the home so I could knit. I'm making a pair of hand mitts for a friend, using Quince & Co. Lark in Marsh, and the pattern, Braided Mitts. Despite the well written pattern, I managed to mess something up and I just finished unraveling back to the cuff. Oh well, I have time to re-knit it, and Lark is such a nice yarn to work with, so it's not really that bad of a problem.

And quick as that, tomorrow is Monday. Hope you have a good one.

2 comments:

  1. Love the opera pictures. You are one of the reasons I've gone back to blogging, my reasoning being something along the lines of... well, SHE manages to teach and blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to spend the evening, glad you talked to all those parents, what an amazing teacher you are. Good luck with week three.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete