Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, July 15, 2012

Wanderings

I have the VDOE assignment this week from Monday through Thursday, in Richmond, which is a fabulous place to wander. Despite having lived in Virginia my entire life, and having visited Richmond multiple times, there is always something new to do.

I headed up here early to beat the ridiculous traffic that is ever present on I-64 in the summer, so I headed to an area of Richmond known as Shockoe Bottom. It used to be an industrial area, but is now gentrified, so there are lots of trendy coffee shops and restaurants, as well as upscale lofts. I visited one of the coffee shops/restaurants today, a place called Urban Farmhouse. Stephanie recommended it to me and I really liked it.

I also took a Canal Cruise that I stumbled upon as I was walking around. I took lots of photos during the ride.


 

This photo was actually taken from a bridge, before my boat ride. The kayakers are on the James River, which runs right through the middle of downtown Richmond.

 

This is a view of some of the financial district buildings, taken aboard the canal boat. One of the twelve Federal Reserve Banks of the United States is located here in Richmond.

This is a flood gate, which has been used quite a lot over the years.

This area is known as Three Crossings, because it boasts three railroad tracks stacked above each other, which is a unique thing, apparently.

And of course I had to visit The Yarn Lounge, so I could sit and knit in the air conditioned comfort of their shop. There is always a group of at least three or four people knitting there, and today was no exception.

As I was walking around this area of Richmond, known as Carytown, I found this lovely shop,

and chose a Raspberry Champagne cupcake to bring back to the hotel, for my after dinner snack. It was delicious!

Now I'm in my pajamas, getting ready to watch Inspector Lewis and knit a little on my newest project, a Saroyan shawl, using MadelineTosh Vintage in the Bark color way. In its own way, it's delicious too!

 

2 comments:

  1. I love the spontaneity of your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A summer roadtrip, champagne raspberry cupcakes, AND a knitting shop. What a day! I thought of you this morning when I was browsing Ravelry and stumbled on this http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/garter-stitch-baby-kimono.

    ReplyDelete