Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Tuesday, September 19, 2017

My "New" Year

Even though I promised my next post would be all about the New York Botanic Garden, I wanted to do a quick "new" year post first.  One of the things I adore about teaching is the number of times I get to start with a clean slate.  Now that I teach high school, I have two fresh starts per year, which is so liberating.  All of this is to say that my latest new year has been going smoothly.  We've already held our open house, and while I haven't totally found my rhythm with each class yet, I'm almost there.    

And just as I suspected, now that I'm back to work, I've decided to try and take care of lots of other things around my house as well.  I've been painting a few windows and trim, trying to repair a leaky awning on my front porch, prepping the front porch railing so I can paint it, and of course, continuing to maintain my yard.  Best of all, I finally fixed this weird hole inside the yarn room closet that's been driving me crazy.  It's an access to the bathroom water pipes, and when we had a plumbing problem a few years ago, the plumber did a crap job replacing the access panel.  As in, there was a big gap that allowed air from the crawl space inside the closet.  I could always smell the damp, under-the-house-dirt smell when I was in there, even though I tried to seal it off.  I finally bought a wood panel and a roll of moisture barrier stuff yesterday, and closed it off.  I'm sure there's a more conventional way of closing it off than the way I did it, but I don't care.  My way worked, and it doesn't look half bad.

 

I have been knitting a little, and I'm getting excited for my annual trip to Rhinebeck!  Last year, my friends and I all knit the Baable hat, from the 2015 Shetland Wool Week; this year, we're doing the Bousta Beanie, which is the 2017 pattern.    

No pictures this time, as it's late, but there will be more than enough to see in my next post.  Until then, peace and joy.

4 comments:

  1. The Bousta pattern is really cute! Can't wait to see what yarn you're going to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Show us your yarn for Bousta - great pattern. Excited for you going to Rhinebeck. And, glad this "new" year is working out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a great start to the school year. I am jealous again, no Rhinebeck for me, I wonder if I will ever get back there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always nice to have a fresh start. I feel that in September too and of course at the start of a new year, which is coming up too! glad your classes are going well! hope you enjoy Rhinebeck! I would like to go someday it sounds like a wonderful show!

    ReplyDelete