Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Monday, June 16, 2014

Movie and Summer Vacation

I just watched a film that pinned me to the sofa. The Broken Circle Breakdown is a 2012 movie that was so well acted that I can't believe I hadn't heard of it before now. Rent it, but be prepared: it will wreck you.

The last day for students was Thursday and one thing that is different for me at the high school level compared to the years I taught eighth grade is that I know I will see my students again in the fall, so I'm not as sad to see them go. The close out system is more complicated at high school as well, which means I am more focused on completing the numerous tasks I have to do to end the year, and less focused on saying goodbye. The process took me completely by surprise last year and consequently, it was the most stressful close out since my first year of teaching. So this year, I stayed on top of everything and it wasn't quite as bad, although it still seems more complicated than it should, as far as I'm concerned.

One thing that was the same though was my propensity for getting sick at the beginning of summer break; probably because I'm usually pretty tired by this point. I bet if I could count up the times I've been sick as soon as school let out, the average would be over fifty percent. This year I came down with a sore throat, laryngitis, and feeling achy all over. A coworker had this on Monday, so it's probably a virus, and I'm assuming since she was over hers in two days, I will be too. Fingers crossed, as I have a lot of plans I want to get started on as soon as possible.

As usual, I want to clear out the clutter that accumulates over the year, and this summer I've also added gardening/yard work to my plans. Steve has done a great job with planting roses all over our yard, but I'm ready to add some other types of plants. I've bought another butterfly bush and planted it near our front porch, but I've also been transplanting daylilies from a yard down the street. The house has been sold and the new owners are planing to raze the house and rebuild, so we've gotten permission to dig up some of the many, many daylilies that are there, before they get trampled over. Even though I have permission, I still feel odd digging plants up, like I'm stealing or something. But hey, free plants are free plants, and this is a great opportunity to fill in some blank spaces in our yard with low maintenance plants. I also want to put in some grasses that are indigenous to the sandy soil we have, being so close to the beach. I also want to add a little more curb appeal to our front porch, since I've mostly focused on our deck in the back (which is really also a "front" since we live on a corner lot. And I want to put in a clothesline; I haven't had one since 1990 and I've been pining for one for a long, long time. I love hanging clothes on a line, both for environmental reasons and because I think it's so much better for the clothes.

I had my parents and youngest daughter over today for a postponed Father's Day lunch, and I made kabobs on the grill. Very pretty and it was what my dad requested, but it seems I've gone off the taste of charcoal grilling. I also made rice, the pea-pesto-pasta salad I made last week, and grape salad, which actually tastes like dessert. And now I probably won't cook again this week, because it's too hot to cook and I have a ton of leftovers, even though I sent some grape salad home with my guests. These are the kabobs, pre-grilled:

Steak, chicken, kielbasa, and vegetable; something for everyone, but I wish I had broiled them instead of grilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment