Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Friday, June 27, 2014

A Perfect Summer Week

This week has been exactly the way I envision summer being during the long months prior to June. I've been to the beach at all different times of the day every day this week to sit in the sun with friends, and alone, to collect shells, read, and knit. I've been making it a habit of slipping down around about an hour before sundown, to just relax and watch the water.

I've also been working steadily in our yard, and really like how it's looking. This birdbath was made by a friend and I just moved it to this location last month. Steve edged it with reclaimed rocks from the abandoned house down the street and it all seems to come together somehow.

My patio tomato plants are loaded.

Same flower bed area as the birdbath, just some different flowers.

Close up of the coneflowers with the weathered fence.

This is one of the hay bales I used last year; Steve had placed it along the fence to prevent some soil erosion that was happening, and I decided to make use of it by planting one zucchini plant in it.

It grew like crazy and I need to pick some tomorrow. I figured one plant would be enough for the two of us.

I decided to repaint the kitchen shelf again, as I just didn't think the yellow had enough of a pop. So I went back to white and picked a key lime green for the baskets, and I love it! It's exactly the look I wanted.

A dill plant that had outgrew it's little pot, along another section of our fence.

Cherry tomatoes coming along.

My perfect summer week also includes thrift store shopping; I found these beauties at a consignment shop for a total of $13 and I love them. I'm giving a spoon each to my girls, and keeping the scoop and bowl for my homemade bath salts.


At another thrift store, I found this beautiful piece for fifty cents; thanks to recently browsing my copy of Wisecraft, I'm going to use it to make a small pillow for my craft room bed.

I also spent some time in a bookstore just browsing craft books and magazines, met my parents for lunch, had an eye exam, picked up food at the farmer's market, popped into my favorite local knit store, and taught five hours a day, Monday through Thursday. And even though it sounds like it was packed, it was a nice balance of busy and calm. I feel so lucky.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great week. It's making me wonder why I decided to take 6 graduate credits this summer. I'm already looking forward to NEXT summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I am coming to live with you because your week sounded a lot calmer than mine.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete