Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Tuesday, June 24, 2014

First Week in Review

It hit me that I have adjusted to summer break quite quickly this year. Usually I seem to struggle with either doing too much and feeling out of control, or too little and feeling mildly depressed, but today I realized that I feel great about how I managed the first week. Knowing that I'm working for six days eases the financial concerns of taking our trip next month and it adds some structure to the next two weeks, which is beneficial to me in many ways, especially since the workday ends at one o'clock. If only regular school days had those hours!

I plan on repainting the little bookshelf this week. I've decided to paint the shelf white (the original color, only it will be clean and new again) and the baskets a bright tropical green. I'm also watering the plants, tomatoes, herbs, zinnias, two new butterfly bushes and one transplanted one, and just generally keeping up and trying to plan some crafting.

School has gone well the first two days; my assignment is the easiest one really, as I don't have to grade anything. It's just a quick review before the students retake the state test. Most of them seem motivated but a few are acting silly; somehow it's surprising at their age, 17 and 18, and yet it probably shouldn't be. It is summer, after all. Anyway, it's good for me in that it gives me a chance to review some of the lessons and activities I've used or thought about using, as well as motivating me to dig into the curriculum a bit more. This is especially helpful since I found out that my classes in the fall will require three separate preps, as I'm slated to teach Transition English 10, Honors English 10, and Honors English 11. And an Honors English 12 in the spring semester! Lots of new readings and lesson planning for me.

I walked on the beach to celebrate Summer Solstice; so lovely.

The next evening was just as pretty, although the light was very different.


Love where I live! Garden photos next time.

2 comments:

  1. You sound like you are in a good place, both physically and emotionally.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. First week of summer always threw me when the kids were little. carry on!

    ReplyDelete