Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Friday, June 28, 2013

Summer

Going away as soon as school was out was a great way to jump into the summer vacation mode. Sightseeing in Brooklyn and Manhattan for two weeks got me into the habit of walking daily and the restaurants were all serving lemonade with a variety of fruit juices, which was a helpful way to wean myself off of the soda habit. I'm looking forward to continuing both of these habits once I get home. Another change I made was forgoing my daily routine of blow drying and hot rolling my hair and despite the fact I think I look a little unkempt, I'm going to continue with the summer look.

I bought a number of books on my trip and I hope to get back to a regular routine of reading, rather than wasting so much time on my iPad. I'm reading Anna Quindlen's latest, Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, and I plan on regifting the book to a friend of mine who got me through my thirties and early forties in exactly the way Quindlen writes about in the book. I also picked up the sequel to Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall, Bringing Up the Bodies, and How to be a Woman, by Caitlin Moran. Between reading, knitting, and decluttering, the first two which can and will be done on the beach, I think my summer schedule is set. Oh, and the walking, also to be done on the beach. And cooking healthy foods. And picking fresh produce and putting it up in some way.

I finished the wedding shawl I made for my daughter's wedding gift, and took some photos of it in the back garden area of a coffee shop in Brooklyn that I enjoy visiting. It was the Cedar Leaf Shawlette pattern and I used two skeins of Cascade Sunseeker, which is cotton with a bit of sparkle. I loved both the pattern and the yarn, and even though Meredith didn't use it for her wedding, I thoroughly enjoyed making it while thinking of her impending marriage.

 

 

 

I'm also working on the first of two baby blankets for a set of twin boys due in August. I am using nine colors of Knit Picks Comfy Worsted and a log cabin pattern.

I don't love it, but it is super soft and colorful, so I'm sure it will be just fine. The second one will have the same colors, just arranged in a different order.

I will post with photos from New York next time. Meanwhile, I hope you are having a wonderful summer!

 

3 comments:

  1. Love the shawl, it is a beautiful, thoughtful gift. I read Plenty of Candles, Lots of Cake and enjoyed it so much. It felt like when I was reading it I was with a very understanding friend.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shawl is gorgeous. I love that pattern. I'm sure your daughter with treasure it.

    I love your summer plans. We are trying to declutter. I've actually packed up three boxes from my studio to go to Goodwill -- and I still have too many art supplies! I have a hard time saying good-bye, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you like pickled vegetables, but don't want to can, I have a nice, easy recipe for refrigerator summer pickles. Let me know via email. Click the link in my blog's sidebar to drop me a note.

    Our weather here in NEO has been hideous. Chilly, rainy, humid, and when the sun does come out, it gets really tropical. Ugh. I need to get back into my walking regimen outdoors, too.

    ReplyDelete