Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Thursday, July 4, 2013

What I Did This Summer, Part 1

My stint as pet sitter for my daughter and her husband (!) was exhausting and exhilarating. I was very lucky that I had relatively mild weather the first week, which allowed me to spend every day outside without much discomfort. The second week brought hot temperatures and heat advisories, and slowed me down just a bit.

 

I was also lucky to have had a friend come up from Friday through Monday, which made exploring the city even more fun, and as she is also an avid knitter, we made sure to visit some great knitting shops.

 

I thought I would blog more, but between organizing my photos on Facebook, and fulfilling my pet sitting duties, I didn't make the time. Here are just a few highlights of my visit during the first four days:

Outpost Lounge, a coffee shop and bar, just around the corner from the kids' apartment. They don't like going, but I love the place!

Meredith and Ryan, getting their marriage license, at Brooklyn City Hall.

So cute!

 

The High Line, probably the highlight of my sightseeing.

 

 

Empire State Building.

 

Lion Brand Yarn Studio.

 

Columbus Circle, where I had the best falafel sandwich ever!

 

Central Park.

 

 

The Dakota Building, where John Lennon lived. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing, when I heard the news of his murder.

School recycling art.

 

Sugar and Plum, a bakery/restaurant, that I stumbled upon on my wanderings.

Knitty City, whose owner is extremely friendly.

 

A treat on a hot afternoon.

Subway art at the 81st street station.

Ollie, hoping I don't make her take another walk. She is trying to avoid eye contact here.

Subway knitting!

The cat, Sinon, demonstrating exhaustion. From lying around all day. Tough job, guarding the place while I was out gallivanting.

Street market, by Manhattan's City Hall.

 

A couple in a photo shoot; I assume for their wedding photos, but it could have been an advertisement shoot, for all I know. Aren't they gorgeous?

The new World Trade Center Building.

And these pictures are just from the first four days!

 

3 comments:

  1. I loved these photos! NYC is my favorite city, and I go every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun!

    Hey, I'll be flying into Newport News around 4 on July 25th. That's the only time I'll be in that neck of the woods. Will you be around? Just email me: deborah.kades@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete