Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Friday, November 11, 2011

KAL & Craft Activism






We had a teacher workday yesterday and it was one of the most relaxed ones we've had for a long time. I can only assume our new principal deserves the credit for it, as he didn't hold a single meeting, which meant we actually got to work in our rooms!



I'm home today, thanks to the Veteran's Day holiday. It is a beautiful day and I'm grateful for it. The temperatures are in the upper forties, there's a light Bay breeze, and the sun is shining. My goals are simple: refill the bird feeder, take a walk, and work on my gifted class project.Luckily, my car is in the shop getting a warranty repair, which prevents me from going anywhere. That alone increases my chances of actually working, although blogging isn't exactly on the official list.



I made a baby hat this week for a coworker; I used about 2/3 of a ball of Knitcol Trends that I bought at a gorgeous shop, Frivolous Fibers, in St. Michaels, Maryland, a couple of weekends ago. It's so nice, that I wish I had bought a baby sweater's worth, but a hat will have to do.








Continuing with the knitting content, Larissa is doing another KAL and I'm participating. As I was replying to her post, I came up with an idea for my next craft meeting, blending her idea and the idea behind Gale's book, Craft Activism. Last month, my group, Craft OV, met for the first time and made fleece tied blankets/throws. Everyone made them for themselves or as gift items, but this time, I want us to make them as donations. We haven't decided what charity we're donating to yet, but I'm thinking about either our local children's hospital or the NEST program at church. Heaven knows there are a wealth of places who can use them. Just another reason I love the blog-o-sphere; the sharing of good ideas like Larissa's and Gale's.




And under the heading of TMI, this is a shot showing you my work at home uniform:



Pink crocs, Noro socks, and pajamas. Not shown is my comfortable grey cardigan, white tee, and mussed hair. You can thank me later for not sharing.



And to make me feel really virtuous, I soaked a pot of beans last night and will have that bubbling on the stove for most of the day.


Hope you enjoy your day, whatever you're doing.

6 comments:

  1. I envy you the sunshine...we have typical Remembrance Day weather: rain and cold. Perfect for standing outside and participating inin the veterans' ceremony.

    Your uniform, beans and the prospect of a cosy day are also enviable. The baby hat is delightfully colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's super sunny here, too, but rather chilly. Our area had a little snow, but we didn't get any last night. BTW, my uniform is similar to yours right now, though by 4PM, I have to don the real thing. No time off on Veteran's Day for me.

    The hat is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm mostly wondering what you're going to do with the beans. Soup? Share the recipe, please. Sounds like a lovely day. It's Remembrance Day here in Canada. Just had our first flurries of the year--lasted just a few minutes, but definitely a sign that I need to get going on the Xmas knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz, the beans are from one of those "15-bean soup" bags; the only thing I added was celery, onion, and garlic. I must have used two bags by mistake, so I have way too much. If I don't give some away to neighbors, it'll go to waste. Too bad you (and Rudee and Stephanie) don't live around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your idea for your next craft group meeting--I know you'll find some very appreciative people to receive them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps I meant to add: so, what exactly is wrong with your outfit? Looks perfect from here!

    ReplyDelete