Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, August 14, 2011

Zinnias

Zinnias are such lovely flowers. We had about an inch of rain last night, so my zinnias have really perked up. They were so dry, their poor little leaves had been curling under. I went out just now and cut all the dead blossoms off, then cut some for the house as well. I tried putting them in vases, but they look best in mason jars, don't you think?







This week, I have been trying to rectify some unhealthy food choices I've made over the past spring and summer. Despite my great success with Weight Watchers last year, I have gained it all back. So I decided to start up with it again, and it's helped my mental state. Because of my broken foot, I really can't do any aerobic exercise, but I can choose what I eat. (I noticed that I started in August last year too; hmm, sensing a pattern?) So send me good thoughts.


One new thing I tried today was Leslie's sister's green smoothie recipe. While I didn't get it as smooth as hers looks in the photo, it was very tasty and filling. I used a food processor instead of a juicer, because that's what I have, and that is probably the reason.






I also decided to make another "rug", using Amanda Soule's pattern. I have made a couple for the bathroom, but decided to make a larger one for Melissa's room. As much as I love the concept, I'm still struggling with making one without puckering. I'm not sure if it's a function of the machine I'm using or if it's more to do with me. They are useful, but not as nice looking as I think they can be. Regardless, I was able to repurpose a very nice towel that had some stains on it as the bottom and a pretty, thrifted sheet. I'll have to take a photo of it later.






Meanwhile, I've also cast on for Larissa's Sugar Cane Mitts pattern, using some varigated Koigu yarn I've had for awhile.I'm not sure what my coordinating yarn choice will be, but I plan on using something in the stash.


Hope you have had a lovely weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Cute mitts and beautiful flowers.

    I have to check out that smoothie recipe. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love zinnias, too. I think it's because they look so strong and bright. I agree - Mason jars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a good time of year to think about health eating. There's lots of delicious local produce available where I live (and probably where you live too), so it's easy to base meals around salads and steamed fresh vegetables.And I tend to think of Sept. as the start of the year (rather than Jan.), which makes it natural to think about making changes in one's habits now.

    ReplyDelete