Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Friday, August 5, 2011

Conversations






Two of the best things about traveling by train (other than the time with my dad, of course) was seeing the scenery and talking with other people. The observation car was my favorite place to sit; it was like being in a bubble, watching the scenery pass you by. I had a few conversations in this car, but the best place to have conversations was the dining car. It was communal style dining, which meant you ate your meals with strangers, and it was really interesting. I wish I had written notes as soon as we finished each meal, because now the conversations all kind of blend together. My favorite couple was from Texas, and had been married for 62 years. They were really interesting. Although they didn't give this advice, I bet they'd agree with it: advice from a couple who have been married for 63 years, over at Amanda's place.





Here are a few of the photos I took from the train, in no particular order.





The St. Louis Arch.The Capitol Building in Washington, DC.A river in Ohio.
A busy interstate in Washington, DC. I think that's the top of the capitol building peeking over the other building.

A beautiful old building in Richmond, Virginia.







Windmills in Illinois or Indiana.










The capitol building in Springfield, Illinois.












Harper's Ferry, West Virginia.











The train yard as we were pulling into Chicago.





Cornfields in Illinois.








I took many, many more pictures, but none seem to accurately convey just how mesmerizing it was to watch the scenery change as we chugged along through it all. We went through cities, woods, and fields, and even the "ugly" side of the tracks was interesting and strangely beautiful. I'm so glad I had the chance to make this trip. It was a great way to travel.

3 comments:

  1. All in all, it looks like you had a wonderful trip. It helps to have an open mind when traveling, and it sure sounds like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful trip, and so nice to share it with your Dad. My parents have been married 65 years, My Mom once told me there were whole years she didn't even like my dad, but you stick it out and in the end it is worth it. I am going on 20 next year, so maybe her wisdom has helped me, too.
    Have a great weekend and I hope you are healing.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing diversity of scenery. Sounds like a fabulous trip with some great memories made.

    ReplyDelete