Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Saturday, May 20, 2017

This Week

After my legal event last week, plus a minor outpatient surgical procedure that required two days off work, I felt like I was playing catchup all week.  The thing about teaching is that when you aren't there, you have to work extra to prepare, then you work extra when you return.  It's why most teachers accrue so much leave: it's such a pain to be out.  But now that it's Friday, I feel like I have finally caught up, or at least as much as I ever can catch up, if that makes sense.

There was a faculty happy hour function Friday that I attended, but unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay very long, as a cool weather front coming in gave me a rather severe headache.  I came home and had some coffee, medication, and spent most of the evening knitting quietly in my lovely yarn room, with Gracie nearby.  Luckily, it eased quite a bit.  Maybe I need to spend more time knitting quietly?  I know Gracie enjoyed it.  Here she is after climbing into an empty basket.

 

 

 

 I'm working on a Playground Shawl, using two skeins of stash yarn, Frolicking Feet, and Fiber Company Canopy.  It's an easy pattern, but I have had to start over a few times for one reason or another.  No matter, I'm quite happy with it anyway.

 

 

 

I bought more mulch this week, in the hopes of doing some more yard work, but the weather might not cooperate this weekend.  I want to extend the flower bed by my front porch to include some bulbs my parents gave me from their yard, an azalea my sister gave me, and a butterfly bush that I need to move, before I kill it by dragging the garden hose over it.

 

The shells I've placed around this bed make me think of the book, Roxaboxen, I used to read to the girls.

 

 

I spent today doing everything but gardening however.  I took my mom to the Hermitage Museum, consignment store shopping, and lunch, to celebrate Mother's Day, since last weekend was my dad's birthday.  Then I met a friend at the Norfolk Greek Fest for dinner, so all in all it was a lovely Saturday. 

 

Now Gracie is ready to curl up and snooze. 

 

12 comments:

  1. Rose, I am catching up on posts and am happy for you that all the legal stuff to do with your divorce is over. I am so happy you are in a good place. Your yard looks wonderful and I hope that you are doing well. Enjoy your Sunday.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much; I haven't been as present online either but now maybe I can post and read posts more often! 💖

      Delete
  2. Rose, I totally agree with your comments about how much extra work it is for a teacher to be absent! Of course, every school has its slackers who take days off without caring if the students have anything productive to do. When I retired, I was asked if I would sub. NEVER! Glad to read your life and your house are making you happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true; I've subbed during my planning block when we don't have enough subs show up, and it amazes me how some teachers will leave very little work for their kids. It can really set the kids up for trouble.

      Delete
  3. I hate being absent! Especially if it means missing an IEP. I actually need surgery (don't want my mom to know, so it won't be on the blog for a while), and elected to wait until summer. I talked it over with my department chair, who I adore, and she is SO grateful that I'll see out the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foot surgery? The bane of teachers, so I'm just guessing. Hope it isn't serious!

      Delete
  4. Oh, how well I remember the extra work of managing absences. Never really worth it. And, like Sandra above, I marvel at the number of retired teachers who agree to sub. I cannot imagine WHY ANYONE WOULD EVER WANT TO DO THAT.

    Love the colours/pattern in your shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever seen a kitty as totally relaxed as Gracie in that last picture! She looks so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does love to sleep, that's for sure! Don't think I've seen that pose before; my daughter said she looks like the shrimp emoji!

      Delete
  6. Hi Rose, thought of you this weekend while in VA (Norfolk, Windsor and Suffolk). And man did it turn chilly and WINDY!! Love Gracie in the basket - what a cutie.

    Love your shawl colors. I need to check out that pattern.

    Your day/afternoon with your Mom sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day we'll have to meet up! It did turn cold Saturday afternoon!

      Delete