Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, March 26, 2017

Spring

I can't believe I forgot to share this photo of our knitting retreat tees; Kristin bought them for us from Cafe Press, and we think they're adorable.  It's getting to the point where I need a separate bin for all my knitting themed clothing, but that's a good thing, I think.  
 
Speaking of knitting, have you been following the March Madness that Mason-Dixon Knitting has put together?  It's a great way to showcase some patterns, and one of the designers, Nell, of NellKnits, is local.  She's been working with BaaBaa Sheep, my local yarn store.  Unfortunately, her sweater pattern, Crete, didn't make it to the second round, but it definitely made it into my knitting queue. Nell designs patterns that are beautiful yet incredibly wearable, if that makes sense.  Check out her Ravelry page, when you have the time.
 
I went to see two movies last weekend, and I enjoyed both.  The Sense of an Ending, with Jim Broadbent, Charlotte Rampling, and Emily Mortimer, was an adaptation of a Julian Barnes novel, and quite good.  The other movie, was a French film, Things To Come, and was shown on Sunday morning, at a weekly event the Naro does called FirstLook Film Forum.  It's an advance screening of a film, along with coffee, bagels, and a discussion and critique about the film. Even though I hardly ever see a movie at any other theater, I had never attended a FirstLook Forum.  It feels a little odd to me to sit in a movie theater so early on a Sunday morning, but it's also kind of nice.  Apparently there's a core group that attends and I think it'll be a nice way to develop some new aquaintences with similar interests.  This morning I saw a really emotionally intense movie from Iran, The Salesman.  I think it won an Oscar this year, and if I'm correct, it was well deserved.
 
Afterwards, I went for a long walk, so I could enjoy the warm weather and spring flowers.  Speaking of spring flowers, my tulips are just starting to bloom.
 
 These are the tulips from my stepdaughter's wedding and luckily they continue to multiply.  
 
 
 
These are some type of naturalized flower that I see in a lot of neighboring yards, but I don't know what it is.
 
Here is a close up; they are little onion type bulbs, but that's really all I know.  I transplanted a bunch of them last year to my corner flowerbed, but there are still quite a few sprinkled randomly across the yard.  
 
I've also amassed quite a little collection of succulents, and I quite like how they look clustered together.
 
And Gracie continues to rule the roost around here, often from her new favorite perch.  I moved the hutch I had been using in the craft room to the kitchen a few months ago.  My kitchen has very little storage space, having been built in the fifties, and since I had plenty of room for it, I thought it would be a good move.  So far, I like it, and Gracie loves it.
 
Last night she was snuggled up in bed with me like this.
 
Is that not the cutest?
 
I only have two more weeks until spring break; I'm not going anywhere this year.  I have a dental surgery appointment and once I feel better, I hope to do some yard work.  And reading and relaxing.  Other than that, I really don't have plans, which sounds pretty good to me.

6 comments:

  1. Your retreat sounds wonderful Rose. So glad you are getting out and having fun. Gracie is the best. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the retreat is a lot of fun, and I think Gracie is pretty sweet too. I feel fortunate to have such good friends in my life.

      Delete
  2. Gracie is the sweetest! And, I love the Tees for your retreat. I love the idea of a small, regular group getting together to view movies - would love that. My tulips aren't up yet...hoping soon, but our weather is still so up and down. It is CRAZY!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vera! Apparently, the spring season for the movie group ends this Sunday, and will pick back up again in September. I plan on participating again and maybe getting to know a few people then. Our weather has been up and down too, but I think the coldest days are over now.

      Delete
  3. You are so lucky to be having warm weather. We're still stuck with down coat and wool hat weather. At least it's good for knitters. You're looking great with the weight loss--hope it does the trick for your health. And if you are ever in this direction, I hope we might be able to meet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! I kept my eye out for you at Rhinebeck this past year, but then I think I saw that you said you didn't go? My little group and I have already reserved another AirB&B house in Saugerties for the 2017 festival, so be sure and let me know if you attend and we can catch up again.

      Delete