Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Lovely Lazy Days

This photo perfectly depicts how I spent the majority of my snow days.  From left to right: book, wool lap blanket, flannel pjs, and in the far right of the photo, Gracie.  You may have to "embiggen" the photo to see her, to borrow a term from Yarn Harlot.
 
 
 I read the last four of Louise Penny's books over three days and while I'm so sorry I'm done, I also realize I may actually be able to do other things now, like knit.  Quite awhile ago I wrote that I rarely read books that totally absorbed me anymore, but these absolutely did.  I've loved every minute I spent reading this series, and on Monday, I read the last two back to back, from morning to night.  It was a wonderful way to spend a snow day.   I decided to finally fix the hem of my Stopover sweater.  The way it rolled up really bothered me, but know that it wasn't a pattern issue, it was a knitter issue.   I was super nervous about it but remembered that almost everything knitting related is fixable, so I started by cutting off the cast on edge.   
 
I've gotten all the body stitches on the needles and it's ready to go, but I put it aside to begin a hat or two.
 
 
 
I've had the pattern since it came out, but for some reason I hadn't cast on, and when I went through the stash, it turned out I didn't have pink yarn, other than the yarn I have for my Mary Rebecca sweater. So I ventured out to my LYS today and bought these two beauties.  The one in the right is Cascade 220, and the one on the left is a new to me yarn, Susquehanna Knitting Company, from Maryland.  I know a colleague who is going to the March, so the Cascade hat will be my gift to her, and the other one will be for me, but here's my dilemma.  I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go.  I have always considered my myself to be a "hippie, born ten years too late", but it seems I may less of a risk taker than I want to believe.  What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. Great way to spend your snow days (and love your cheerful pj's). Brave you fixing your Stopover. I am an aging hippie (lol), but not in favor of the hat. First I find the term degrading (no matter how it is used) and I can't imagine that a ton of women in pink hats is going to have any impact whatsoever on the one soon (unfortunately) to be in office. Having said that, I do like the yarn you picked out:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I'm still trying to figure out where I am but I totally understand your position. When my daughter was in college, she started using the c-word as a way to reclaim it but I never liked it. Same with the N-word. Food for thought for me.

      Delete
  2. I just addressed this hat over at the Dept. Not a fan. I know a few Marchers and am very supportive, but the PhP is a No-Go with this Feminist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it, which may be why I'm still in the fence. Does it trivialize the situation? Is it just an empty, feel-good gesture? I don't know but appreciate your perspective, so thank you!

      Delete
  3. As you know ROse I have a hard time with the name but that is the point. If it was a cuter name, nicer even more politically correct it would not have garnered the attention it has. It is a way to reclaim the word, even if it is a word we do not like. While it will have no affect on the President Elect it will in some way show solidarity. If I had one on while marching and saw others with the same I would feel a connection. I would have no fear of going, I wish I could. But I would never want you to do anything that made you really uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the March is something I feel drawn to attend but I'm still wish washy. Will it matter? Will it matter to me? Still thinking

      Delete