Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, June 17, 2012

Summer Is Here

My summer has started with a plethora of activity, all emotion filled. My last day at the school I've worked at for my entire fifteen year career was on Friday, which was the same day my former father-in-law was buried. On Saturday, I drove Meredith to Stamford so she wouldn't have to take the bus back home. It was a long day, but with some good quality time. Here's Ollie, enjoying some quality time too!

 

I'm heading back home on Monday, so I can spend a few days with my parents and sister in the Outer Banks, which will be bittersweet, since this is the last time my folks will be renting a summer house. My mom finally retired, which means their income will decrease. Great for my mom, but also a time of adjustment for her.

No wonder my knitting is reflective of all these changes! I can't seem to focus on any one project long enough to finish anything! Now I'm working on the Jubilee Cardigan, from the 2010 edition of Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts. Using stash yarn, I might add.

 

I have so many things on my mind that I'd like to do this summer: clear out clutter, sew, spend more time outside, cook fresh food, play card games with my daughter, plan for my new classes, knit, slow down. Mostly the same things I want to do every summer.

I'm having such a hard time writing and I think it's because of the whirlwind of the last three weeks. Right now, I'm sitting outside at a Starbucks in Norwalk, Connecticut, enjoying the sunshine, cool breeze, and solitude. I have a novel, my knitting, my iPad, and my thoughts. There is something so freeing about being in a city where I don't know anyone.

Some pictures from my walk:

 

 

Definitely a nice way to spend a beautiful day in June.

 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish you contacted me - I live a town away from Norwalk/Stamford. Love your photos - you must have been in SONO. sounds like you are centering yourself before the summer - all good stuff. Safe travels home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy! I wish I had too, it would have been fun! And yes, I was in SoNo, enjoying the gorgeous weather. Next time I'm up here, I will let you know!

      Delete
  2. Such a nice way to spend the day after you have been emotionally crazy. Fantastic that your Mother has just retired, good for her. Breathe, rest, look at the beauty surrounding you and you will be fine.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It has been a good day.

      Delete
  3. I love those stitch markers!

    Enjoy the summer, Rose. All will go well next year...you'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! I think they are Lantern Moon. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete