Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Lazy Day


I've had a lazy day today, just wandering around the quiet house doing very little. A bit of knitting, a bit of reading, and a lot of watching a neighbor cat trying to dodge the mockingbirds that were dive-bombing her. I felt sorry for her and gave her a saucer of cream. See her licking her lip?



She spent a lot of time in this position, but despite her efforts, she couldn't get a single bird. Isn't she a cutie, though?





I think I needed the rest today because the July 4th weekend was an unusually busy one for us. We had Steve's oldest and my youngest, along with their significant others, over for a cookout on Sunday. Looks yummy, doesn't it? Melissa decided we should do this every Sunday!




I love these kinds of get togethers; I just wish we could have had all the kids here. We made homemade ice cream for dessert, something I hadn't had for at least twenty years. We also had a few exciting moments, including one tiki torch bursting into flames and setting part of the flower bed on fire, and a jellyfish "attack" when we went swimming after we ate. I haven't been stung in years and had forgotten how irritating it is. I ended up taking a Benadryl and slept for fourteen hours, waking up in time to attend two cookouts on Monday, and I guess all the excitement wore me out! Hopefully I'll get my energy going by tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just need one of those "recovery" days.

    Your picnic set-up looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kitty is so cute. I love his white socks.

    Hope you're feeling better after a day of lollygagging. Sounds like you deserved it--damned jelly fish. They're so sneaky.

    ReplyDelete