Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, May 16, 2010

Festival Saturday

S came home from GMU around midnight Wednesday but since my week was so busy, I only got to visit with her an hour or two Thursday and Friday before limping off to bed.

Saturday was our planned family day and what a busy, wonderful Saturday we had! Steve, S, and I started out the day picking up breakfast sandwiches at Panera Bread, then S & I had our hair cut.



After we were all prettied up, the three of us went to the Portsmouth Book Sale, where I apparently decided to stock up for summer reading!! After that we were getting hungry again, so we swung over to the Greek Festival, a favorite of me and my daughters, and now a favorite of S's too! I've taken her every year since I've known her and luckily she got home from college in the nick of time. Unfortunately M2 didn't make it home yet since she's doing a summer school class; I think this is the first year she's missed out.

Here's the beer cart, wheeling past the incredibly long food lines.



People love the Greek food!


A great photo of Steve and S.





As usual, I ran into a couple of friends while we were enjoying the lively music. After we were revived with the spanakopita, baklava, greek salads, and a few other tasty treats, we headed over to the Stockley Garden Art Show. It's held twice a year, May and October, in a beautiful Ghent neighborhood, and benefits Hope House, a foundation that helps support adults with special needs. They also run a thrift store year round but this is a big moneymaker.


This apartment building caught my eye because of the display of shells.




And I thought this door was just lovely too.






One area of the green, with the artists' tents.







After we finished browsing there, we drove over to Elliot's, our favorite free trade coffee shop. These mosaic steps at the shop are what I'm hoping to reproduce on our front porch one day.





On our way home we decided to hit a thrift shop where I found this pretty bowl.


We finally made it home around 6 p.m. and sat on the deck perusing our "new" books until I could no longer keep my eyes open. I took a nap at 7 p.m. which meant I stayed up until 1 a.m. But it was a great way to spend a gorgeous May Saturday.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely day.

    There is something satisfying about a stack of affordable books, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mosaic! Love. It.

    Nice supply of books, Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes and I think the grand total was $10 for all those books. Such riches.

    ReplyDelete