Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Swirling Snow and School

We saw swirling snow around here this morning, giving us hope (the teachers not the kids) that we'd be sent home early from school, but it stopped by noon so we were stuck there all day. And since our field trip to Richmond was cancelled due to the snow, it meant we had ninety-five high spirited and disappointed 8th graders to contend with for the day and none of them had brought their notebooks or supplies to school, per our instructions. Talk about scrambling for a plan. We decided to show the movie The Boy in the Striped Pajamas after lunch, which related to the Holocaust unit. What a powerful movie; when you have that many kids enthralled and focused, you know it made an impact. If you haven't seen it, you should. I actually had meant to see it when it was at the Naro a year or so ago but missed it, so I at least I got to see it today.

I did a quick mini-lab during my shortened science bells, so all was well after all. On days like this, you have to make up your mind to let a lot go or you lose your mind and/or your temper. Luckily, I lost neither one. Today.

I need to make up my mind about my Winter Olympic knitting, instead of starting any more little projects. Right now I have my Noro socks, a Noro scarf, a Manos scarf, a thumb left on my Noro mittens, and the Saroyan shawl. Hmm, feeling the Noro I see. I think I may just do the WIP event? Especially since I'm supposed to go to Annapolis this weekend and New York/Stamford next weekend. Of course with all this snow, I may miss one or both of those trips. That would make me so sad.

Now I need to figure out what's for dinner. Something from a bag I'm guessing. Maybe I'll just knit awhile.

4 comments:

  1. I see you have the Harlot's badge, too. Which one are you knitting in? Maybe you could do one in each! It's not like you don't have a lot going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do some WIPs plus I really want to start the Mondo Cable Cardi. I don't even plan to finish the cardi during the Olympics but starting it will be an achievement for me, with my sweater-mental-block. Or is it sweater-itis? Fear of sweater?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you need to see a cardiganologist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, ha - a cardiganologist. Good one!

    There must be an event for that Mondo Cardi, Rose. Hurdles, maybe. Oh, that's the summer games. Moguls? They can be quite difficult to get through.

    ReplyDelete