Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Are You Sure It's Not Friday?

What a day! At least four of my students had a meltdown today. Over my attitude. Seriously. That was their explanation, that I had an attitude. Adolescent girls are at the mercy of their hormones; sounds like another demographic group, like, I don't know, maybe menopausal women? Thank goodness I was on the mellow side today. It can get pretty hairy when we're all on the crazy train together. Tomorrow we're supposed to go on a field trip to Richmond, but I don't know how that's going to work if they get the snow storm that's predicted. I don't relish the idea of being stranded with ninety 8th graders. I will have knitting. And medication. Plenty of both.



In keeping with my birthday-palooza, I made little heart magnets from the felt scraps for my teammates and paired them with Dove chocolate hearts today. I didn't do a thing but cut out the hearts and put a stick on magnet on one side, but they're cute enough. I think they mostly enjoyed the chocolate.



Here's a photo of the goodies I sent to each of the girls. Mostly Trader Joe stuff. The wrapped gifts contain lip balm, a large Toblerone chocolate bar, hot chocolate mix, and Reese's peanut butter hearts.



And in case you're looking for a reason to buy some of those fat quarter fabric bundles, this is a very cute and practical idea. I got the link from bean&noodle's blog. I'm always tempted by the fabric in those bundles but never had a reason to buy them---now I do. I've used cloth napkins for years, although I usually buy them from thrift store. I keep them in a picnic basket (also a thrift store purchase) on top of the refrigerator, for easy access. Now I can add some new ones to the mix!

And speaking of blogs, this one is hilarious!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my. Aran lingerie?

    Too bad about all those hormones...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow 8th-grade teacher, I totally sympathize! We had a field trip a couple weeks ago that was a disaster -- beginning with a bus driver in an altered state! But I did get to knit on the bus, so it was OK in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome care package! You're such a good mom.

    ReplyDelete