Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Mostly Knitting

Steve and I went to Baltimore over the weekend to visit his brother and sister-in-law and to attend a house party of a friend. The friend lives in a historic row house in the Federal Hill section of the city and she and her husband are the artsy, free spirited type of people that I enjoy being around, so it was a lot of fun.

My sister-in-law, Diane, started knitting ten years ago, right after she met me, so now we love to share our projects, pattern finds, and yarn stories. This trip, she and I went to her local yarn store, the whimsically named, Woolstock. I loved these mugs, but took pictures instead of buying them.

This common saying, "yarn is cheaper than therapy", is a bold faced lie, but it's cute nonetheless. Having experienced both, I know yarn is way more expensive, but it's still worth it for the joy it brings me.

This wreath was also at the shop; I've seen yarn wreaths before but the floppiness of this one really appealed to me. The subdued colors are lovely too, don't you think?

As Baltimore is about 4-5 hours each way, depending upon traffic, I was able to knit quite a lot. This is the almost completed Puerperium Cardigan, done in DK weight mercerized cotton. Sherbet colors.

I bought 2 skeins of Sunseeker, a cotton yarn with just a little sparkle in it, while at Woolstock, and cast on for the Pebble Beach Shawlette, a lightweight shawl that is totally unnecessary but will be beautiful in this summery color way.

Oh, right, another just-begun project. This is the fish pillow pattern from KnitPicks that I think will look wonderful in my sunroom, especially in these tropical colors. I took this photo in Friday afternoon, while waiting to meet Melissa for a quick coffee. This shop is just around the corner from her apartment and I was able to snag the only outside table. The cobblestone street reminds me of my time in England somehow. I cannot believe it has been almost twenty years since I was there. I really want to go back to Great Britain.

Finally, a picture of the blown tulips in my classroom, also taken on Friday; my students think I'm crazy for buying flowers "that will die", but I tell them they're good for our souls.

The monsoon season finally stopped today; hope you are looking forward to a wonderful week.

 

2 comments:

  1. Apparently your monsoon is headed west, as we have tons of rain in the forecast. Your trip to Baltimore sounds fun. I have been there since the 80s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a perfect weekend, a fun place to visit, time to knit, wonderful people, time to knit, a yarn store and time to knit.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete