Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, July 5, 2015

Slow Summer Days

The weather here has been pretty close to perfect. The days are beautiful and not terribly hot; as a matter of fact, I've been able to have the AC off and the windows open more often than I expect to for this time of year, and we've been getting rain and thunderstorms primarily at night on a regular enough basis that the plants are doing well with very little watering necessary.

Steve and I have been playing tennis a few times a week and I can see some improvement in my stamina, if not my playing ability. I'm going to try a cardio tennis class in the hopes of losing a bit more weight; I've been on this plateau for awhile and I'd really like to lose ten to twenty more pounds over the summer. My blood pressure medication was lowered from 40mg to 10mg and it would be great if I could come off of it altogether.

I've been to the beach three or four times a week and most days look like this:

Which explains this gift from my friend, Lori:

I have finally managed to get my craft room from this condition:

 

To this:

Although I had lots of "help" from Gracie:

 

She has loved this piece of furniture from the very beginning, when she was a scared little kitty, fresh from the shelter.

After I cleaned up and organized the craft room, I decided to finally start making pom poms; there is a shop in Norfolk that has strings of them hung in the window and I think they would be pretty cool in my classroom too. So I collected a basket full of leftover yarn from finished projects and have been making them while I watch PBS (have you seen the new season of Last Tango in Halifax and Poldark?) and I've gotten a good start on my collection:

I'll leave you with a picture of Grace, doing what she loves to do: napping on the arm of the couch beside me. I love her little heart-shaped face!

 

3 comments:

  1. Your kitty looks like a sweet girl, and the craft room is looking good. Enjoy as much beach time as you can.....summer goes by too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are having a very balanced summer: projects are getting done and you're getting a lot of relaxing in, too. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I showed Keith the photo of your room pre-cleaning, and he said, "Wow, it's a lot cleaner than yours!"
    I met some great knitter from northern VA at camp. Next summer we'll have to plan a knitting meet up!

    ReplyDelete