Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Thursday, July 2, 2015

Relaxing

I've been spending a lot of time at the beach and in the yard during the past week. Both activities are relaxing, albeit in very different ways. While at the beach, I sit under the umbrella and knit, talk, and nap, with frequent trips to the water to cool off. When I work in the yard, I sweat profusely and get filthy, ripping up crab grass and digging up the nasty sand burr grass that makes up a large percentage of the grassy areas that border our sidewalks. And yet, the satisfaction I feel while doing this is relaxing in a different way. I can see how much progress I'm making and as I think I've mentioned before, it's very therapeutic to rip out the weeds with my hands!

I've continued work on my cowl; it's the 3 Color Cashmere pattern, only I'm using a multi-colored yarn called Crazy, so I'm ignoring the 3 color requirement.

No photos of Gracie this time, but I did take a picture of a random cat that lives in my daughter's apartment building:

Cats love windows, don't they?

 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that mustachioed cat!

    I, too, love anything I can do that physically shows my progress and completion. I think it's from years and years of teaching where I never really got to see The End of anything. I always felt like things were on a continuum, even as the years ended. I never really got to see a True End Product, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean; in fact, one of my education professors postulated that the reason so many teachers have creative hobbies is so we can see results, unlike teaching. But high school does give me a bit more satisfaction; middle school, not so much (not at all)!

      Delete
  2. One of these days I'm going to visit you for a day at the beach! I am still regretting my disorganized visit to Virginia.

    ReplyDelete