Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, May 31, 2015

Sunday Night Reflections

I don't really have anything as serious as the title sounds, but it's the best I've got. Poison ivy, or something similar, got me again last weekend so I went to the Urgent Care on Monday morning. Unfortunately for me, the doctor I saw wanted to treat it conservatively since it hadn't spread, and I wasn't assertive enough to insist on my usual treatment of a shot followed by a course of prednisone, so after a week of no healing and the rash spreading, I ended up going back to see her this morning. She gave me the shot and thankfully, it's looking better already, but I'm irritated at myself for not being more assertive on Monday. The up side is that I've been loaded with energy all day, although I think I annoy Steve when I'm like this.

I went to the farmer's market, treated myself to brunch, came home and made a couple of salads and a strawberry pie, then went to the beach with my friend, Lori. Afterwards, I took the pie over to my parents' house, ran a few errands, made myself a dinner of bacon and eggs over a bed of Swiss chard, and took an evening walk on the beach.

The pie was a gift for my parents' 56th wedding anniversary; it was actually yesterday, but my mom and I were in Fredericksburg all day Saturday, supporting my cousin as she did an indoor Ironman Triathalon. Roseann is two years younger than me, but she has a chronic illness that causes her to have pain on a daily basis, and she lost her vision while in her early twenties due to a hereditary disease that destroyed her retinas. She has always set challenges for herself and she said that doing this is a way to have some control over her life. She is simply amazing and as you can probably tell in this photo, she has an incredible circle of friends who love and support her. While this speaks well of them, it also speaks volumes about her.

 

This photo was taken as she was nearing the 112th mile on the bike, which was the goal of the second event. Everyone was clapping and cheering for her as she finished the last mile. The first event was swimming, and she finished up the day by walking 26.2 miles on a treadmill. I can't even imagine the level of perseverance and determination she exhibited by completing her goal. I talked with her today and while exhausted, she was exuberant, and rightfully so.

 

The breeze was wonderful today and the clouds looked like cotton candy.

 

I came home to find Gracie stretched out on the couch, catnapping. As she does.

It's a sweet life.

 

3 comments:

  1. The beach looks wonderfully inviting, great for walking. What an inspiration your cousin is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your cousin is incredible! And your cat is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous of cats; they can nap instantly and deeply at any time of the day. Gracie looks enraptured and comfy.

    ReplyDelete