Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Thursday, February 26, 2015

Cooking with Gas

I got motivated to make some recipes out of the Smitten Kitchen cookbook I bought some time ago. I love to cook, but since I rarely get home before 5:30 and I don't own a dishwasher, we tend to either eat out or just throw quick things together, which get the job done but aren't very interesting. You know, cereal, popcorn, or salad. I used to cook pasta a lot because it's so quick, but since I've been on my 1200 calorie a day regimen, I haven't eaten that for awhile.

Before I went to the grocery on Wednesday, I picked out three recipes that looked good and bought the ingredients for them. Wild Rice Gratin with Kale, Caramelized Onions, and Baby Swiss; Harvest Roast Chicken, with Grapes, Olives, and Rosemary; and Pork Chops with Cider, Horseradish, and Dill. I made the rice casserole and the chicken today, and will make the pork chops tomorrow. Since Steve was working from home, we ate at one o'clock; he was pretty happy to enjoy the results of my efforts!

I didn't do much of anything else, other than read and take pictures of birds at the feeder, like this beautiful cardinal.

I really need to knit tomorrow, if I want to finish my sweater, and since we have yet another snow day, I'll definitely have the opportunity!

 

1 comment:

  1. That last picture, with the cardinal, is just precious.
    I LOVE Smitten. Tell me what you think of the rice casserole; it's become one of my go-to recipes. You just can't go wrong with Fontina!

    ReplyDelete