Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sleep

I am having trouble sleeping lately. Having trouble quieting my mind, being still. Not sure exactly why this is, but I'm trying to relax into it, trying not to fight it. School is fine, although today we had a bomb threat called in, which meant we spent ninety minutes outside in the stadium bleachers, trying to keep order, trying to answer questions, trying to maintain a sense of reassuring calm. The students were dismissed thirty minutes later than normal, I got a bit more sun than necessary, and a headache, but grateful it was only a false alarm. Afterwards, I attended a fundraiser event at a local restaurant with some friends and students, which was a nice way to turn the day around. Came home to my husband and cat and neighborhood in full bloom. Spring flowers are so lovely. Wisteria, dogwood, azaleas, daffodils, tulips, all tumbling over each other, competing for attention.

And now I will knit on the baby blanket and try to go to sleep at a decent hour.

3 comments:

  1. How scary for you, really what is happening in our world, no wonder you have trouble sleeping. Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sleep pattern is normally broken up into two sessions with a period of wakefulness in between. I usually spend the interlude listening to an audiobook on my IPod (with earbuds). Best not to fight wakefulness, just go with it until you feel sleepy again. However, I don't need to get up in the morning to go and teach, so this relatively relaxed approach to sleep works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im a new reader here, I really like your blog :)

    ReplyDelete