Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Friday, August 26, 2011

Irene, I Don't Think I Like You

I have been out of sorts every since yesterday afternoon when I found out I need foot surgery after all. After spending eight weeks in an annoying boot for the entire months of July and August, I'm going to be in it at least eight more weeks. It's making me cranky and on edge.

But I didn't really make the connection that some of my antsy-ness is also due to waiting for Irene. Thankfully, Dominique articulated those feelings for me.

I've done everything that I can to prepare; bought a ridiculous amount of water, a couple of extra flashlights, filled all my plastic containers with water and put them in the freezer, bought too many groceries, filled the gas tank, and washed all the clothes in the house. Steve had the job of putting all of our outside stuff in the garage and trying to avoid my crankiness. I'd say the second task was the hardest one on him.

And now I need to sit down and try to relax before I spin out of control. Maybe do a little knitting to help me find my happy place. Thank you for all of your good thoughts and warm words. See you on the other side!

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have everything you need. I hope you stay safe and cozy in your dream cottage.

    I'm sorry about the foot, Rose. It must be really frustrating for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, my dear friend. I'll be thinking of you until the storm passes.

    Then we'll worry about your foot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Storms -- and the sudden change in air pressure -- always sets off my migraines, so I would be super cranky! Hope you you make it through the storm without any issues. I remember being on Hilton Head Island during an approaching hurricane. They were locking the storm windows that cover the hotel windows and locking up all the pool furniture! We stayed on because we were there for a wedding. Turned out to be a whole lot of rain and not much else. In other words, much ado about nothing! Hope you have the same experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a shame that you need further foot surgery. How frustrating this must be for you at this busy time of year. But the silver lining might be more knitting time.
    Hope you and family are all safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry to hear about your foot surgery .Stay well.

    P/s :I love your header pic.

    ReplyDelete