Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Bits and Bobs and Mermaids

We finally got some rain here Sunday night, in the form of a thunderstorm. No matter, we'll take whatever we get. (Sometimes I feel like a farmer, given the way that I monitor the weather.)





I did manage to sort through my yarn collection yesterday, although there are a few bits and bobs left that don't seem to fit anywhere. I mostly sorted by color, with the exception of the cottons. Those I lumped all together in one large basket. And I found the second skein of the MadelineTosh yarn for my Saroyan shawl, so it's back in the project basket, awaiting a partial unraveling.




One of the books I read on my train trip was Andre Dubus' Dancing After Hours. Wow. I cannot overstate how engrossing his stories are. Because of how amazing a read it was, I reserved every book that our library owned (six of them). They had to get them out of storage, but I picked them up today and plan on disappearing into them for most of this week.



And while I was at the library, I took some pictures of the yarn-bombed mermaid.





Pretty, isn't she?Not sure what's attached to the belt....

.....but it does add a certain something. It looked like crochet to me, but I'm not positive. Still, yarn is yarn, right?





Despite the ongoing, oppressive heat, I felt like cooking yesterday, so I decided to make it a party. I made a delicious vegetable lasagna, and had Lindsay, Jon, Steph, and Melissa over for dinner. I sauteed zucchini, eggplant, onions, garlic, mushrooms, and spinach, then simmered it all with spaghetti sauce for about an hour. Oh my, but it tasted rich. And since it made two pans, we have plenty of leftovers!






Today's assignment is to get some stuff posted on craigslist to sell; stuff I photographed over a month ago but didn't manage to get listed. And do some knitting. And reading. Maybe even a nap. It's good to have goals.





2 comments:

  1. The mermaid does look good all dolled up! I'm not sure what's on her belt, either.

    Dinner does sound tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not even going to try to guess what the crocheted bit on the belt is. I'm glad someone is attempting to keep her warm, though.

    I think this is the summer of weather obsession for almost all of N America. Such weird weather we're all getting.

    ReplyDelete