Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Smooth Recovery

This is the big snow we had at the beginning of the new year, know for some reason as the BombCyclone.  It was almost a foot high but the unusual thing about this snow was the week long low temperatures we had afterward that kept the snow around.  Usually,  when we get snow, it melts fairly quickly, but the low temps meant we lost five days of school in a row.
 
Thank you for your kind wishes; my recovery has been really easy.  I had some extra time due to the snow, which certainly helped, and then the fact that I haven't had to work a full week yet has also been good for my healing.  Last week we had a two hour delay on Thursday and a full day on Friday, then a three day weekend. I went to work yesterday, and we are actually off today as we are expected to get about three inches of snow during the day.  It seems crazy to be out for expected snow, but our area just does not have the budget for snow removal and therefore, it gets dangerous if you have kids and buses going home in the middle of snow and icy covered roads.  It's a truly tough call to make, because if the storm is late coming through, everyone will say the district overreacted, but we didn't make this call a few years back and it was definitely a white knuckle situation that no one wants to repeat.  

I had a lovely relaxing weekend with old friends watching football this past weekend and knitting up a storm. I'm working on the Apple Cider Donut Cardigan from the Rhinebeck Sweaters book, using the Green Mountain Spinnery Weekend Wool yarn I thought I was going to use for the Mary Rebecca pattern, before I read the pattern more carefully and realized I needed DK for that one.  Rookie mistake, especially since I had knit it up to the armholes already last year.  The only reason I had ripped it out was that I needed to change the size.  So that was kind of lucky, right?  This is the pattern photo from Ravelry; my color is raspberry.

This photo was taken about a week ago, so I'm a bit further along now.
 
 I made this hat out of a skein of Weekend Wool in pumpkin using TinCanKnit's Antler pattern for my cousin's husband.
My friend, Melissa, came over with lunch on one of my recovery days, and finished this adorable snowman hat for her soon-to-be-born first grandbaby.  
 
I finally hung up the orange and cinannamon garland that I made;  I got the idea from the Reading My Tea Leaves blog, and drying the orange slices in the oven made my house smell so good.  Even just having them piled in a bowl smelled great.
 
I got this package in the mail from Meredith, my daughter; she and her husband went to Iceland for Christmas and she picked up these two skeins of Lopi for me while she was there.
This photo was taken before Christmas while I was in Charlottesville with a friend for his birthday to see a UVA basketball game.  We met some friends for champagne at the Boars Head Inn afterward, before driving back home.  
 
And because I can't leave Gracie out, here she is, sitting on my lap while I knit.  I'm so glad she is still comfortable siting on my lap.
 
This is an Instagram picture my neighbor, Eva, took of Gracie, while I was out of town this past weekend.  She is so good about spending time with her, which makes me feel less guilty about leaving her.
 
 
 
Hoping you all have a wonderful week, whatever you are doing.  Peace and joy to you!
 
 
 
 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe your snow pictures...well, I can because we talked with relatives in Suffolk. But still! So glad your recovery has been smooth - extra days at home certainly do help. Love your raspberry yarn for your sweater and that looks like a great pattern. And wow! Yarn fro Iceland. Fun. Reminds me I need/want to get back to Sigla. Give sweet Gracie a little pet from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vera! I feel really lucky to have gotten the extra time, even though some of the days will need making up. Slow going on the sweater but that's ok too. And Gracie is still sitting on my lap, which is a miracle!! Thanks for coming by, and I'd love to hear more about your trip to Sigla!!

      Delete
  2. So, so jealous of your snow! We have maybe a quarter-inch. And we haven't had a snow day in years.
    I love that sweater and the color is my favorite!
    How sweet that your daughter brought you back yarn from Iceland.

    ReplyDelete