Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, June 21, 2015

Summer Solstice

Summer break is in full swing and I've been busy having fun. I tore up the craft room, but haven't put it back together again just yet. I broke down the single bed that was in there, so that changes the whole space. Not sure how I want it all to look, so I'm mulling it over. I've looked at lots of craft room organization boards on Pinterest, but they all seem too matchy-matchy for me. I've decided I'm tired of knitting washcloths for now and want a new project, despite having so very many already started. But knitting is supposed to be a treat, not a chore, so a new project it is. I've cast on a 3 Color Cowl using Stonehedge Fibers in Crazy, which is mill ends yarn, so the color changes are in the yarn and all I have to do is keep on knitting! The yarn is DK instead of fingering but I don't think it'll matter that much. At some point, I plan on figuring out my mistake on the Diagonal Lace Wrap so I can pick that back up. (I can't believe Gracie let me put the knitting on her; she was super sleepy.)

 

I've also done lots of yard work, mostly weeding and watering. Many of the perennials that Steve planted two or three years ago are real filling in now, and I love the way they look against the picket fence. Coneflowers, Black-eyed Susans, and a few other types that I can't remember. He has a good eye for it, I think.

The sunflowers came up without planting; the seeds that were dropped last summer, so they are a nice surprise. We even have a few in the front yard from the bird feeder seeds!

 

I took Fern back to Melissa last weekend, and I miss her terribly, but Gracie seems quite content being the only cat in the house again. Here is Fern enjoying the view on the car ride over. She is such a funny cat! No way would Gracie do this well in a car, nor would I try it.

 

I took this picture on one of my walks last week; isn't it beautiful?

I made a cake last week for a knitting group friend who broke her foot; I was supposed to use a bundt pan but I had given mine away, so I used this one for the first time. My cousin gave it to me a few Christmases ago and I had never used it. I like how it came out and plan on using it agin. This was before I put a glaze on it. I've never seen a pan like this before, have you?

I took my dad out for lunch yesterday as his Father's Day gift, and then my sister and I went to church with him this morning, so I think he was content. Plus, I made a strawberry-blueberry pie for him. I'm done buying gifts for him, as he's the kind of guy who never really likes them. Both he and my mom get whatever they want when they see it, so my new tradition is to take them out one-on-one. I think they like this much better. I know I enjoy it too.

This week my plans are more beach time, knitting, and working on the craft room makeover. Have I mentioned how much I love summer break?

 

5 comments:

  1. What beautiful flowers -- and that cake! Lovely. Happy solstice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that knitting shouldn't feel like a chore. That must be why I have so many projects going at once. Your flowers are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree that knitting shouldn't feel like a chore. That must be why I have so many projects going at once. Your flowers are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree that knitting shouldn't feel like a chore. That must be why I have so many projects going at once. Your flowers are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our Siamese-Himalayan mix of years ago, Emily, used to adore car rides just like Fern. She was a big traveler. I've never had another cat since like that.

    I have seen a bundt pan like your rose pan before, and they do make lovely cakes. Have you seen the castle shaped one?

    It sounds like you're already making the most of your summer. Good for you! I hope it feels Endless.

    ReplyDelete