Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, November 3, 2013

Tough Times

Gratuitous fall photo:

 

Stephen has been working on our house, or as he so elegantly puts it, "the f***ing money pit." We need to replace our front door and storm door, but before we do that, he is painting the porch. It's a distressed brown color, as in worn away brown over concrete, and we've planned on doing something to it since we moved in five years ago, but the time got away from us. So of course, he has to prep it and prime it and then the primer has to cure for seven days, and by then it'll probably be Thanksgiving, which was my "deadline" for the door install. I'm really hoping it'll all be done by Christmas, if you want to know the truth. Last week we cleaned all the overgrown weeds and brush between our garage and our next door neighbor's house, at the next door neighbor's not-so-polite request, and now all the debris is piled up in the yard. Our place is beginning to look like what I imagine the famed Duck Dynasty folks homestead must look like, but as I have never seen the show, I'm only guessing. I helped a lot with that project, and coincidentally, my back/neck is thrown out. I started feeling twinges during the first part of the week, and by Friday morning, I couldn't ignore it any longer. I have an appointment with my neck/pain doctor on Monday, and I spent most of Saturday self medicating and trying to relax. Knitting isn't really the best thing to do at this point, so I've been doing some reading and iPad browsing. I need to grade papers but have been procrastinating like a champ.

I swear I love autumn, but it seems like I have some kind of health issue every year about this time.

To lighten the grim tone, here's yet another picture of my sweet cat, Gracie:

To close, I hope you aren't offended by this bicycle I saw outside of the ODU bookstore yesterday, but I thought it was hilarious!

 

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your recurring pain? I'm struggling with a chronic issue, too. Aren't we too young to have aches and pains?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracie got so lucky when she was adopted by a Knitter!

    ReplyDelete