Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Thursday, June 19, 2014

Errand Day

Today was my errand day: met my niece for breakfast, went to my school for instructional materials, went to summer school location to prepare for Monday, scheduled hair and eye exam appointments, picked up medications from the pharmacy, made a car payment, went to the post office for international stamps, and met my parents and Melissa for an early dinner at Fellini's, one of our favorite restaurants. I was gone from 9:00 to 4:30, almost like a work day, but I did everything I needed to do.

Tomorrow is beach day, when friends come over and hang out with me on the beach. I'm looking forward to catching up with them and just relaxing. I've been doing Beach Friday ever since I moved here in 2008 and it's a great way to keep in touch during the summer. Teachers love the beach as a rule, at least around here!

As for getting set up for school on Monday, I was asked to teach a SOL quick review class for students who passed English 11, but failed the state test (SOL). It shouldn't be too difficult since it's only six days and I don't have to worry about grading. I chose ten current event articles that I think the students will be interested in so we can review vocabulary and text structure. I'm assuming these are students who are somewhat motivated, but time will tell. At any rate, the money I earn will cover the travel cost of the trip Steve and I are taking next month. We are going to a reception/party that Meredith's in-laws are hosting in their hometown of Oswego, NY, and then Steve and I are spending a few days in Montreal, a night in Portland, Maine, and visiting friends in Massachusetts, and his brother in Maryland, before coming home. It's been quite awhile since Steve and I took a trip longer than three days, so I'm looking forward to it.

Knitting has been sparse around here, due to the focus in yard work, but I have been reading quite a bit, so I'm okay with that. If you're interested in what I'm reading, ask me for my Goodreads account name.

Oh, and we finally got some rain this evening! Looks like the rain chain worked just fine, so I'll install another one this weekend.

 

 

Rain storm from Rose Horton on Vimeo.

 

1 comment:

  1. Friday beach day..what a great thing. HAPPY summer Teacher!
    Your trip sounds fantastic. Lots of time to knit then

    ReplyDelete