Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sunday Snow

Well, it hasn't actually been a stress free weekend, what with the college girls having to come back through the snow storm, but they did make it safe and sound.




I woke up this morning to a dusting of snow on the ground, just enough to be pretty, but the roads were fine.


This is our back yard,


and this is the view from our front porch.



I thought I'd sit on the couch and enjoy the quiet, but instead, I had a phone message from my mom that she and my dad were at the emergency room, so I headed out to sit with them. My dad had severe back pain and after five or six hours and a number of tests, the verdict is it's either a bladder issue, the arthritis in his spine flaring up, or the onset of shingles. After giving him some pain meds, then anti-nausea meds, they sent him home. He's slept most of the day and now feels fine. Oddly enough, I wasn't that stressed; I was glad to sit with them both. I can't imagine how people do that without knitting. I made another pair of handwarmers while I was there, so it wasn't all that different from what I had planned for the morning after all.
MB and I went for a late brunch and then I met a friend for tea and conversation this afternoon. Now I'm home, ready for my pj's and the next Foyle's War episode.


Random notes:

One year, I swear, I'm doing these.


And aren't these cute? My daughter loves owls, so maybe she'll make these when she's home from school. Tutorial and photo credit found here.
And this is freakin' adorable.
Find the tutorial and photo credit here. My husband thinks the expression looks just like Mr. Bill. Remember him?

3 comments:

  1. I adore that gingerbread man ornament. Adorable!

    I hope your dad doesn't have shingles, but if he does, it's important to manage pain early to avoid post herpetic neuralgia.

    Speaking of back pain, did they check him for a kidney stone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They did a CAT scan to check for stones, which is what he was thinking he had, but it was negative. We're thinking it was back pain from his arthritis; my mom said he pushed it when he was up and down on the ladder hanging Christmas lights. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that gingerbread man is too cute! I will need to make one, too.
    I am so glad that your Dad is feeling better. I agree that waiting - for anything - is so much easier when I have my knitting. I always have a sock in my bag.
    Enjoy the snow and the quiet now that everyone is safely home.

    ReplyDelete