Mary Oliver

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"









Sunday, December 13, 2015

5 More Days

...before I begin my winter break! I made cinnamon ornaments; they're inedible but I think they may make nice car fresheners. I'll let you know. They're too heavy to hang on our tree, which we put up today. The lights are on but no decorations hung yet, which is really ok with me. Fresh pine and fairy lights are enough.
I also made two batches of my signature holiday gift: Toffee Pecans, although I think they'd be more accurately named Toffee Brittle. Or Christmas Crack. They are super addictive and my friends want them every year. I didn't get around to making this last year for some reason so they'll be super happy to see them this year. I'm giving this batch away tomorrow night.

It only takes four ingredients: butter, sugar, kosher salt, and pecans, but it's a magical combination.

Hope you're enjoying your Christmas season as much as I am, even if the weather is unseasonably warm.

 

 

  • Toffee Pecans

    1 cup (2 sticks) plus 2 T unsalted butter
    1 3/4 cup plus 2 T sugar
    1 T kosher salt
    3 ½ cup raw pecan halves

    · Line baking sheet with parchment paper
    · Place butter in a large heavy bottomed skillet over med-low heat until melted. Add sugar and salt and stir briskly until mixture comes together. Add nuts and cook stirring evenly and constantly until sugar caramelizes and coats nuts.
    · Cook until the sugar turns a beautiful oak brown—5 to 7 minutes and quickly/carefully pour hot mass onto the prepared sheet. Quickly separate with tongs
    or a fork.
    · When cooled, transfer to an airtight container.

2 comments:

  1. Oh the pecan brittle sounds so yummy!!! I'm not such a great cook but I may give those a try. I hope to start my backing later this week. Wish me luck :)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making the pecans! I think those would be awesome all on their own!

    ReplyDelete